You are here

Internet band practise

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Internet band practise

Postby ben howes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:46 pm

I'm in isolation at home, band practise is cancelled. Looking for ways to play together without sharing viruses.
Anyone had good experience with one of those internet jam session services?
eg. Jamkazzam or jammr

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
ben howes
Regular

Re: Internet band practise

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:23 pm

I am interested in this for my son in France so I installed jamr but I thought it was just an app' and you could communicate with each other? Turns out you have to sign in and create an account. Can't be doing with ANOTHER one of them!

Will be keeping a look though.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:04 am

A mate has just tried out Jamkazam, and it kept crashing. Also looks to be now unsupported as their last Facebook posting was in 2016.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:37 am

SOS covered Remote Collaboration in 2014 but the article and services mentioned are no doubt out of date now:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/remote-collaboration

As with all things t'internet-related, you're only as good as your broadband speed/service and with everyone shifting to home-working, the networks will struggle initially to deliver enough bandwidth for everyone, let alone for bands wanting to get their 13/8 chops in sync.

This is where Google Hangouts should be a winner, as Google have one of the more robust infrastructure out there. Amazon does too, but doesn't offer AFAIK a public-facing remote collaboration application.

Zoom.com is worth trying and Skype audio too (Skype video is less good).
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,508 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby wireman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:07 pm

I have a feeling I might be looking for a solution for remote music instrument lessons soon (organ).

At work I have used, Slack, Zoom, Bluejeans, Skype for Business etc but there would be a need for acceptable sound quality (microphone) and webcam along with mobile internet at both ends.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby ben howes » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 pm

For Skype or similar generic service, is it just a case is selecting your audio interface in the settings?
I can well imagine the sound of the zoo burning down when variable latency kicks in. Might have a try and see.

ben howes
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:18 pm

I'm going to do it the old fashioned way (well to a point, I won't be posting cassette tapes to the other guys). I'll record guitar/vocal and maybe guide bass and programmed drums and dropbox the recording for them to play along with. When we finally get back together we will, at least have an arrangement in our heads and under our fingers.

No good, I realise, if you are in the final nuanced stage of rehearsing a tune but it will give us some motivation to learn some new stuff.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:52 pm

The software I looked briefly at claimed to eliminate latency. Can this be so?

Whenever I do a speed test I get around a 20mS ping, best ever I think was 16mS and that was from Leicester, not that far away, anywhere in Oz is going to be a lot worse?

So, if son pally'ed up with a drummer in Paris (he's on the Channel coast) and they both got a 20mS ping does that mean the total delay they would experience would be 40mS at best?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:46 pm

Whenever I do a speed test I get around a 20mS ping, best ever I think was 16mS and that was from Leicester, not that far away, anywhere in Oz is going to be a lot worse?

You can’t use Leicester as a benchmark, packets of data get routed fairly randomly around the internet before being reassembled.
I’ve had Facetime chats with Australia and Spain in recent years and there was no perceptible delay, admittedly that was just speech, but I couldn’t hear my voice delayed at their end.
Give it a try and see how you get on.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:05 pm

MOF wrote:

You can’t use Leicester as a benchmark, packets of data get routed fairly randomly around the internet before being reassembled.
I’ve had Facetime chats with Australia and Spain in recent years and there was no perceptible delay, admittedly that was just speech, but I couldn’t hear my voice delayed at their end.
Give it a try and see how you get on.

What I MEANT was! If Leicester pings 20mS, anywhere further away has got to take longer? Since my ping (over UK) is pretty consistent at around 20mS I think it must be about as good as it gets?

Academic anyway as son has lost his phone and can't get on'net!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Ping is there and back. So the one-way internet latency it should roughly be 1/2 your ping + 1/2 their ping, plus any interface delays.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby MOF » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:58 pm

What I MEANT was! If Leicester pings 20mS, anywhere further away has got to take longer? Since my ping (over UK) is pretty consistent at around 20mS I think it must be about as good as it gets?

As I said some of those packets will get routed the long way, there’s no guarantee that they’ll go in a straight line or even stay in the country.
However I agree that if you’re getting 20ms consistently then there are likely to be timing issues.
I hope your son finds his ‘phone soon.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ben howes » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Is the ping a best case measurement? I presume bandwidth becomes highly relevant in short order. I also can't imagine a free service like Skype will be optimal, maybe a paid for conferencing service could offer more.

ben howes
Regular

Postby Kwackman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 pm

Spotted this in todays SOS news feed....

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/conne ... xXcIxxwZ8k
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.