You are here

Live sound, scary virus and hygiene

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Live sound, scary virus and hygiene

Postby Happyandbored » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Thinking of getting some sanitiser spray and cloths to clean mic shields plus hand gel for freelance engineers at the venues I tech manage. Hunch is it's a completely bulls**t token gesture at this point, but anyone have any thoughts on best practice and how we should all be approaching this at the moment?

Thinking this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clinell-CDS60- ... 0E2E3A0968

This:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Cleaning- ... 14E29FEA70

And this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2-Pack-Set-Han ... 142&sr=8-4
Happyandbored
Regular

Re: Live sound, scary virus and hygiene

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:23 pm

Any handwash needs to be over 60% alcohol to be effective against covid-19. I can't see any specifications on that.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:28 pm

Happyandbored wrote:...anyone have any thoughts on best practice and how we should all be approaching this at the moment?

The guys at Production Expert site have posted this useful guide to cleaning Microphones on their blog:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2020/3/10/how-and-why-to-clean-a-dynamic-microphone-tip

Also I know Studio Spares are selling an Isopropyl Instrument, Microphone & Audio Gear Sanitising Kit for a reasonable £6.99 GBP (inc VAT). More info here:

https://www.studiospares.com/Microphones/Mic-Accessories/Isopropyl-Instrument-Microphone--Audio-Gear-Sanitising-Kit_126005.htm
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,112 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby AlecSp » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:32 am

Forum Admin wrote:The guys at Production Expert site have posted this useful guide to cleaning Microphones on their blog
While that's a great guide to cleaning microphones, I don't believe it's enough to disinfect a microphone...
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Mike Monte » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:06 am

Last week I had a show coming up and I bought 10 foam windscreens.
I called my primary care doctor and asked him what I should use to clean them with, seeing the corona virus is going around.
His answer:
soak them in anti-bacterial hand soap with very very hot water, rinse, and air-dry.
Mike Monte
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:22 am

If, as I am told, virus shells are held together with lipids then washing up liquid and in hot water or a trip through the washing machine on a hot wash would do for most.

This came from a programme that discussed why soap is better than alcohol gel.

One topic that I haven't heard discussed anywhere is the likelihood that using alcohol gel will result in dry and possibly cracked skin. If you are someone with skin that reacts like this then not only will the gel not be as effective as soap, it will offer all kinds of pathogens a shortcut into your bloodstream.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby al_diablo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:30 am

Happyandbored wrote:Thinking of getting some sanitiser spray and cloths to clean mic shields plus hand gel for freelance engineers at the venues I tech manage. Hunch is it's a completely bulls**t token gesture at this point, but anyone have any thoughts on best practice and how we should all be approaching this at the moment?

Thinking this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clinell-CDS60- ... 0E2E3A0968

This:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Cleaning- ... 14E29FEA70

And this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2-Pack-Set-Han ... 142&sr=8-4

I'm a consultant anaesthetist and will be at the forefront of the response to the disease, so I'm hoping this will be my most useful contribution (ever) on this forum

Absolutely not a token gesture and should be commended. The virus can survive for 48 hours on steel and 96 on plastic, so all attempts to remove it are worthwhile.

Clinell products are good, they make the disinfection wipes used in almost every hospital - you could consider getting those instead of the spray, although either will be good. It will be difficult to clean into mic shields with wipes and spray though. As mentioned >60% isopropyl alcohol is adequate to destroy the virus and if the equipment isnt fully washable in hot soapy water could be more effective at penetrating the nooks and crannies than the Clinell stuff (personal opinion, not evidence based).

Bear in mind the virus can persist on surfaces so it would be a good idea to disinfect other surfaces too.

The most important thing is to make sure that anybody with symptoms knows not to work and to encourage strict hand hygiene. Given the ubiquitous lack of soap in venue toilets I think sanitiser is a good way to go (but soap and water is best, washing for 20s and drying thoroughly). I agree it can cause skin irritation to use lots of alcohol gel, in which case revert to soap and water.

My own view is that we should already be encouraging social distancing and minimising large gatherings. I am sure the official line will change to this in the next week or so.

The most vulnerable groups from the data so far are the over 65s, those with preexisting conditions and those with obesity. It's true that in most the illness will be self limiting but being young and fit does not automatically mean a mild illness.

As a final thought, it is difficult to compare our system with China, but there is no reason to believe what our Italian colleagues have experienced won't play out here as well, so any measure to slow disease spread is a good thing.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby al_diablo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 am

Also, just for reference here is the WHO guidance on preparing the workplace

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source ... 359a81e7_6
al_diablo
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:53 am

:thumbup:
Thanks al-diablo
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ben howes » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:29 pm

The impact of C19 on live music and musicians will be significant. Better start planning for cancelled gigs, rehearsals tours etc.
Still waiting for the UK government to get with the programme that all it's neighbors are following.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
ben howes
Regular

Postby al_diablo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:24 pm

blinddrew wrote::thumbup:
Thanks al-diablo

Good information sharing critical at times like this :)

Alex
al_diablo
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:35 pm

ben howes wrote:The impact of C19 on live music and musicians will be significant. Better start planning for cancelled gigs, rehearsals tours etc.
It is only going to be significant because of the hysteria created.

It is a new strain of the common cold. Get a sense of perspective and wake up!

Reading some of the stuff being churned out by the media and some of the stuff written online, all I can say is the World has completely lost all perspective on this minor issue.

It is not more and no less than a new strain of the common cold. I've got it. No big deal! I am getting increasingly irritated by hysterical noises from people who obviously have never lived. A bit of a sniffle, a headache, dizziness, a minor cough and that's about it.

Of course, if you are morbidly obese or have any one of a thousand self-inflicted ailments as a result of smoking, boozing, or eating processed foods, you are endangered - but then if you do that, almost anything minor may kill you.

The current hysteria is beginning to annoy me!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:It is a new strain of the common cold. Get a sense of perspective and wake up!

Oh dear! Your current illness has affected your normally very sage judgement. I hope you feel better soon.

I share your frustration with much of the media hysteria. I had the misfortune of seeing the headlines on the front of the Sunday Mail today and couldn't believe what I read!

However, coronavirus is most definitely not a strain of the 'common cold'. It is a particularly infectious and powerful variation of the flu virus, which is a completely different -- and far more serious thing.

The panicking 'end of civilisation as we know it' theme from the media isn't constructive, I agree, and the vast majority of people who catch it will shake it off without too much discomfort in a week or so. But for others it could become very serious, and for some even fatal. This isn't something to belittle any more than it is to exaggerate. It needs a balanced perspective as you said (but not as you did!).

[quoe]Of course, if you are morbidly obese or have any one of a thousand self-inflicted ailments as a result of smoking, boozing, or eating processed foods, you are endangered - but then if you do that, almost anything minor may kill you.[/quote]

You're Just being offensive, insensitive and plain ignorant now. Go take some paracetamol, lie down for a bit, and don't come back until you're feeling much better.... :wave:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:25 pm

At least it gives me buying opportunities!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Happyandbored » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:09 pm

Thank you al_diablo, that was extremely helpful.

Yeah, going for the gel from a convenience point of view... Any links to where I can order sanitiser gel online of the required strength at non-ripoff prices? A lot of the ones coming up on Amazon don't specify strength and seem to be from random bs brands I'm not sure whether to trust.

A discussion elsewhere suggested getting spare mic grilles - one of the venues I tech manage has gigs seven nights a week with different freelance engineers, so I'm thinking two containers for used and new/cleaned grilles, then soak them in bulk once a week in isopropyl maybe the way to go... plus spray and wipes for the bodies.

Ultimately, being small local stuff and not well paid, I figure making it as easy as possible is the way to go, rather than expecting everyone to be perfect engineers cleaning everything immaculately before and after each gig and heading off to the not very hygienic venue toilets for a 20 second hand wash every time they coil a cable or change a mic.

As far as hysteria goes, sure in terms of its health effects for most of us, it will be no big deal, but from what I've read it seems fairly clear social distancing is going to be necessary soon to reduce strain on NHS. I'm fairly convinced we're going to see pubs and restaurants closed in the near future. No one's going to do that until forced however because cost of living, so it makes sense to do something in the meantime...

I've already lost a few gigs from this, while my Facebook feed is filled with engineers a rung or two higher up the ladder losing whole tours, as well as various independent bands and musicians losing money on flights etc..., so re: Red Bladder... Ok Boomer.
Happyandbored
Regular

Next