You are here

Cueing or preview with Behringer Xenyx 1204USB

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Cueing or preview with Behringer Xenyx 1204USB

Postby TJ Live » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm

Howdy! I am using a Behringer Xenyx 1204USB mixer to broadcast a live radio show via the Internet. I need to be able to cue a track without it going to the main mix.

I'm mixing music on my laptop using Virtual DJ. Viz USB out the signal goes through a Numark DJ io interface which separates the 2 decks and sends them to the mixer.

My mic is on channel 1
Deck 1 is on channel 5/6
Deck 2 is on channel 7/8

I thought that I could use channel ALT 3/4 to preview/cue but that seems to go to the main mix. Granted, this is all really new to me and I'm not the sharpest star in the bunch, but can someone help? If I need new hardware, fine. If I need new software, also fine. But I'm desperate.
TJ Live

Re: Cueing or preview with Behringer Xenyx 1204USB

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 pm

Press the SOLO button on the input channels to route the incoming signal just to the headphones/control room monitors. This can be done with the fader closed, so you can check levels and cue sources without affecting the main mixer output.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:26 am

Far be it from me to query my betters - though not of course elders in this case... :)

However, the 1204 doesn't have a SOLO button.

I used to use one of these for just the application that the OP does.

When you want to 'cue' a channel keep the fader up but press the ALT button. Make sure that you have the ALT master fader up.

In your headphone monitoring, for this bit you want the top and bottom buttons up and the middle (ALT) one down. You can then cue the channel without it going to the main mix.

Once you've cued then release the channel ALT button and switch your headphone mix from ALT back to Main - one switch up, the other one down. Of course if you want to fade in the channel then you'll need to close that channel until you're ready to play that channel.

HTH
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:53 am

Mike Stranks wrote:However, the 1204 doesn't have a SOLO button.

Odd. :think: I'll gladly take your word for it as I've never laid my hands on the thing. I just checked the manual which says it has a Solo button switchable between PFL and SIP.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/61849.pdf

... But then I found the small print that said its only on the x1204usb, not the 1204usb... Grrrrr.... :headbang:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 am

No worries Mr R...

When I saw your reply something just 'niggled' so I checked-out some pics. Then how I used to cue all came flooding back.... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am

I have a Mackie 1202, and the alt out on that has been very useful for a number applications where you want to hear a channel but you done want it in the main mix, like cueing.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 am

Yeah I think it's a Mackie invention originally. Quite neat really, you can either have a Mute button (if you route the Alt bus to nothing), a Solo button (if you monitor the Alt bus), or a stereo submix (if you send Alt to Main), depending on how you're working or how your studio's set up.

It is a compromise, but quite a clever one (even if that didn't stop this website mocking it rather mercilessly here: https://www.harada-sound.com/sound/cadac/mackie.html)

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 am

Love it! And the Producer and Diva modules look very handy add-ons too. :D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby TJ Live » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Thank you, Mike! That did the trick!!! I had to record a quick session to check as when I toggled the Main Mix/ALT 3/4 in the phones the VU meter stopped - which made me believe that the signal stopped going to the output but it wasn't the case. In restrospect I should have bought a mixer with VUs on each channel but I'm totally set now.

Thanks also to Hugh for answering first and quickly! I appreciate it.

Mike Stranks wrote:Far be it from me to query my betters - though not of course elders in this case... :)

However, the 1204 doesn't have a SOLO button.

I used to use one of these for just the application that the OP does.

When you want to 'cue' a channel keep the fader up but press the ALT button. Make sure that you have the ALT master fader up.

In your headphone monitoring, for this bit you want the top and bottom buttons up and the middle (ALT) one down. You can then cue the channel without it going to the main mix.

Once you've cued then release the channel ALT button and switch your headphone mix from ALT back to Main - one switch up, the other one down. Of course if you want to fade in the channel then you'll need to close that channel until you're ready to play that channel.

HTH
TJ Live

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 pm

'Tis a pleasure... :thumbup:

Nope! You don't need meters on each channel. If you buy a mixer with PFL (pre-fade-listen) facilities then the main meters are used to set levels at the same time as you cue aurally.

But you'll be fine with the Behringer. I used it for a whole set of jazz-music radio programmes about 18 months ago. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster