You are here

Connecting external effects to mixer HELP

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Connecting external effects to mixer HELP

Postby jylijo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic. But I need help connecting Lexicon MPX 110 to Behringer X2442USB. I am using the aux sends from the mixer to an headphone amp (so I can get a couple or as many as possible different mixes to individual musicians). Thats why I dont want to use the aux sends/returns.

Is there any other way to connect one (or two) vocal mic to the external effect and then again route this to mixer? Can I use direct output routing the vocal to external effect and then route the wet sound back to the mixer?

Any advice would be apprecieted.

-J-
jylijo

Re: Connecting external effects to mixer HELP

Postby Wonks » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:49 pm

You are a bit stuck there for flexibility

You can use the direct out on two mic channels and send those channel to the Lexicon in Dual mode. Then bring each channels back to a mono line input with a pan pot (not a stereo line input channel or the effects will be hard left and hard right), so that you get the FX in both main channels (or you can just send them out to the monitors with the aux send controls). You'll need to use the two return channels' main volume controls to set the FX levels, as it won't be controllable from the direct out. if the signal from the desk is too hot and the input clip lights come on, then you'll have to turn the desk input gain down on those channels and use more main fader level to compensate for the FOH mix.

I can't find a block diagram for the mixer, so don't know whether the direct outs are before any EQ or after. Another reason to run the Lexicon outputs into a mixer channel with EQ available if necessary.

The only other thing I can think of is that you use the FX bus external FX out jack on the rear of the mixer go get a signal out to the Lexicon, and use a spare stereo line input pair for the returns. But that means any other channels you want to send to the mixer's internal FX will also be sent to the Lexicon.

The Lexicon has unbalanced inputs and output jacks, so using the Lexicon does increase the risk of ground-loop noise, but that can be dealt with if it occurs.

But it may be time to think about a new mixer, preferably digital!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby jylijo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:34 am

Thanks Wonks!

I will try those options you suggested to see how they work. If I use the aux send and returns then I would send the signal to the Lexicon using AUX SEND 3 FX ja route it back to the mixer with AUX RETURN 3 FX, is this right?

I know, my mixer needs to be updated as well as my headphone amplifier, then I would be able to get more individual in-ear monitor mixes for example. Just trying to cope with what I have now.

-J-
jylijo

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:00 pm

If one of your headphone mixes is vocals only you might be able to split that send off I to the Lexicon and return that as normal.

I also suspect your approaching the boundaries of what's possible but some people live with workarounds happily for years.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 am

In cases like this I always use the sub outputs as effects sends, if they aren’t being used for anything else.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town