You are here

midi clock sync for the whole rig – how do you do it?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

midi clock sync for the whole rig – how do you do it?

Postby uuhh » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:18 pm

hi all, i have several synths and keyboards that need to be clock sync'd for live show. each one seems to handle clock sync differently and midi thru differently; some receive but don't transmit; some transmit, but don't seem to receive; some transmit only some midi messages and only on some channels; others don't at all. particularly baffling is my brand new novation peak, which doesn't seem to transmit clock sync at all, despite having all sorts of other great midi sync features!!

so at the moment i have everything centralised and sync'd to a laptop running cubase which handles the master clock. and that's all it's doing, apart from sending program changes to each synth for new tracks (which again, each synth handles differently....). but that means that i also have to route all the midi *back* to the laptop in order to send it out again since some of my synths are note-controlling others as well. that makes me nervous – the single point of failure being my laptop.

there's got to be a more elegant way to do this, and i would love not to have to bring my laptop to a gig. is this just the way it has to be or is there some piece of kit that i don't know about that is just for routing midi and time sync...? how do the pros do it?
uuhh
New here

Re: midi clock sync for the whole rig – how do you do it?

Postby The Elf » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:59 am

Cubase is fine in the studio, but I wouldn't have any desire to run it live. I run my entire live rig under Cantabile that enables me to route anything to anything.

As I understand it they just added MIDI clocking to the free version, so you could give it a try. It can be daunting at first, but once you realise what it can do for you it's life-changing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby resistorman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:50 pm

I have one of these. I bring it along to synth jams to sync everybody up.

https://reverb.com/item/23549910-sixty- ... -clock-hub
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:53 pm

If you can’t find that, this looks good.

https://blokas.io/midihub/
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Ryhad Laurentus » Sun May 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Great link resistorman, Midi hub looks great.
Ryhad Laurentus
Poster