You are here

Ideal gear for home karaoke/recording setup

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Ideal gear for home karaoke/recording setup

Postby MOF » Wed May 27, 2020 4:54 pm

I do not intend to perform live outside my home. I just want to have people over for ragin' karaoke parties that I can record and listen to later, ideally with the option to record both mixed and isolated vocal tracks.
Sounds like the perfect way to get blackmail material to me :lol:
The Zoom L8 looks good for what you want especially since it has built in effects, karaoke needs echo and reverb.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 27, 2020 10:37 pm

You could always start with one line array and add another later?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 27, 2020 11:28 pm

The Bose L1 is a stunning bit of kit, you'd only need one (just as well given the price). I have used an L1 Compact and it had the best vocal sound I've heard in any PA system (though in my case it was for natural sounding vocals rather than rock). My only concern would be that it may not go loud enough, easily solved by hiring one or buying online a few days before a party and you can return it if it doesn't work for you.

There's an awful lot of DSP going on in those Bose L series speakers, their anti-feedback algorithms are the best I've encountered and to get a stack of 2.5" paper(?) cone drivers to sound that good they must have signed a pact with the devil..... Point being that other, budget, makes will be unlikely to sound anywhere near as good.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Thu May 28, 2020 11:49 am

DXR8s will handle all the level your ears can safely take in that space (and more). As will similar cheaper speakers, but they might end up letting you down/being destroyed.

Have you ever done live sound before? If not, you're probably about to enter a world of feedback frustration if you want loud parties, especially looking at your room.

Do you have neighbours?
AlecSp
Regular

Postby choony » Fri May 29, 2020 4:14 am

After reading a jillion online reviews, I ended up choosing the JBL Eon One over the Bose L1. I made the purchase before reading Sam Spoon's post. Tell me I didn't screw up! I also got the L8 mixer and those old classic Shure SM58 mics. I've threatened my wife with lots of Rush tracks, so she is already worried that the system will be too loud. Haha. Our house is actually pretty good at sound insulation, so I'm hoping the neighbors won't hear a thing.
choony
New here

Postby choony » Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 am

I have never done live sound before, so this could be an adventure/disaster...
choony
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 pm

The Eon One is not what I was referring to when I mentioned 'other, budget makes', the JBL is not cheap budget kit in this context*. I haven't heard the Eon One but for rockier styles the JBL 'house' sound has a proven record so it should be just fine.

* It falls between the Bose L1 Compact and the L1 mk1S in price, Bose seem remarkably reluctant to quote any meaningful specs for the L1 series, JBL quote a max SPL of 118dB which should be more than enough for a living room but do try to give it a solid workout before the retailers return window expires.

Enjoy your parties and come back if you need more advice on running the PA.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby choony » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:07 am

With all of my gear in place, I wanted to come back and report that the JBL Eon One, Zoom L8 mixer and Shure mics work great in my living room. The sound is amazing! Thanks again to everyone who helped me out!
choony
New here

Postby resistorman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:49 am

Thanks for the update!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:58 am

Great to hear choony :thumbup: and thanks for letting us know.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby conrytmo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:57 pm

CDG player or software: unless you like swapping discs, a computer based system is best. Sax n Doty’s player is kinda low end. I like Karma, but did have to pay for it. Try not to wear out the applause button.
CDGs: online suppliers, ebay, craigslist, etc. For an idea whether the song you’re after is available: icroons.com.
Mics: go wired, XLR type, not built into mic. Samson not bad for cheap, Shure Elvis style for looks, SM58 for solid all around choice.
Cables: XLR.
Mixer: smallest Behringer Xenix unit a good start, has effects built in.
Interface: USB sound card or USB to RCA phono plug interface.
Amp/speakers: Keyboard/PA amps typically have RCA phono plug ins for plugging an ipod in. Powered monitors also a good choice.
Effects: lots of choices. Some mixers and amps will have them built in. Digitech units have expression pedal. For unplugged reverb, sing into a drum.
Software tools: ripping, burning, copying, zipping, file renaming, file creation, songbook creation, lots of help out there.
conrytmo

Previous