You are here

Help with getting stereo in Behringer P16 Monitors

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Help with getting stereo in Behringer P16 Monitors

Postby rwharris66 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:16 am

Hello,

I pastor a small church in NW Alabama. A few years ago, we bought the Behringer P16 in-ear monitor system. A couple of years after that, we purchased the Behringer X32 board. No one in our small family is a sound expert, so we've struggled mightily to be able to use what we have. Here are some issues we cannot seem to resolve.

1. Getting stereo (R & L sound) in our monitors (in-ear monitors). We usually have to pan all the way right or left, and often we only get sound in one ear.

2. Each person getting his/her individual monitor set to satisfaction, only to have a change at the board (X32) adjust what we hear. We've watched YouTube videos and tried to adjust the Effects / Ultranet out settings, but we seem to be missing something simple.

The main issue is not being able to hear in both right and left ears. It would be great to be able to put vocals in one ear and instruments in the other ear. I'm sure it's a simple fix, but none of us can seem to figure it out. I've watched hours of YouTube videos, but unfortunately, the people making the videos know so much about sound that most of what they say doesn't connect - I don't speak the language.

Any help any of you could give would be appreciated. Thank you.

RW Harris
Crossview Church
Fayette, AL
rwharris66

Re: Help with getting stereo in Behringer P16 Monitors

Postby The Elf » Wed May 27, 2020 8:34 am

I use the P16 system for my live sound and have had absolutely no problem making it do whatever I need.

Leaving aside the questionable 'instruments in one side, vocals in the other' (very odd IMHO!), I suspect it is the routing matrix where things are breaking down for you. Unfortunately I don't use an X32, so it may need someone else to help, but in the meantime...

As long as the signals are routed to the P16 matrix then every player, who has a P16 in front of them, can arrange their own mix, including panning. You certainly don't want to be fiddling with the panning at the X32 - just route the signals to the P16 outputs and leave it to each musician to decide.

So maybe a couple of photos of your routing matrix might help us understand what you have there.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed May 27, 2020 9:29 am

Welcome!

As the Elf has said, this is almost certainly about how you are routing your signals at source - i.e. on the X32. I have my own thoughts on what may be happening, but if you can tell us how you've got the X32 board set-up we'll almost certainly be able to help.

Several X32 users here so I'm sure we'll get your issues resolved.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 27, 2020 11:38 am

I don't have a P16 rig but I do have an X32 Compact, however, while the people on here are the most helpful bunch you could possibly meet I'd as first, have you posted your question on the X32 forum? We are mostly UK based, the X32 forum has a considerable number of members in the US, there may well be somebody close enough to your location to pay you a visit when all this is over.

As a one to one with somebody who knows and uses the kit is impractical for the moment, I'd be happy to load your scene into my X32 Compact and see if anything obvious pops out (just save your scene to a computer and send it in a PM, post a link on here or PM me for an email address).

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Mixing-Consoles/bd-p/bepc1016
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby rwharris66 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

Here's the settings on the X32 / Routing / Ultranet:

1. Category: Direct Out

2. Output signal: Each channel matches output signal, so Kellie (Singer #1 on the X32) is also the #1 input on the P16. We match 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc.

3. Tap: PreEQ

Thank you again. I apologize for not knowing more about the equipment. We just don't have anyone with the knowledge or skill set to know how to set all this up correctly.
rwharris66

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed May 27, 2020 5:16 pm

The Elf wrote:Leaving aside the questionable 'instruments in one side, vocals in the other' (very odd IMHO!),

We may think so, but the number of musicians I've encountered that split instruments with a hard pan either left or right makes it hard to ignore as a technique. Usually the instrument the musician is playing is full centre, and the other instruments are hard panned. I can understand it conceptually but it's not something I'd want in my ears!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man