You are here

Speakers for keyboards

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Speakers for keyboards

Postby warrentdo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:31 pm

Hello, please can you help,

im a keyboard player and I'm looking for a pair of nearfield monitors to site on top of an organ, a Roland AT900c. I have been looking at placing the speakers on top of the organ as the sound of the current speakers that are build into the organ are a little week being placed underneath at knee level. i was ideal looking at the Adams A8X to get some decent bass. i have some other similar size speakers and they look a little daft on top of the organ. Could anyone recommend some smaller nearfield monitors with a sub?
Regards
Warren.
warrentdo
New here

Re: Speakers for keyboards

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:07 pm

What's your budget? There are good small monitors from all the usual brands, some with matching subs, but these can get pretty pricey...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:46 am

Hi Warren and welcome to the forum

May I ask as to the application i.e. in what setting? You have posted in the live sound section but live can cover anything from a small room to a stadium. What size of audience are you trying to reach or is this just so you can monitor yourself and is the organ the only instrument or are you performing with others?
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby warrentdo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:07 am

blinddrew wrote:What's your budget? There are good small monitors from all the usual brands, some with matching subs, but these can get pretty pricey...

Hello Blinddrew, well first i was looking at the Adams A8X with a £1200 budget, then I found the Adam T8V 8 with a £550 budget and it felt better :-) its just that they look a little daft in the space that i have. i know its more about sound than looks but 2 huge speakers on the top of the organ looks a little overpowering. im just looking at moving the room around but i think im out of luck.
Regards
WArren.
warrentdo
New here

Postby warrentdo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:12 am

Music Wolf wrote:Hi Warren and welcome to the forum

May I ask as to the application i.e. in what setting? You have posted in the live sound section but live can cover anything from a small room to a stadium. What size of audience are you trying to reach or is this just so you can monitor yourself and is the organ the only instrument or are you performing with others?

Hello Music Wolf, this is only a small home room say 3.5 x 4.5 mts, but i do need the quality of the full sound. I also have PA speakers at the other end of the room which i put music, singing etc through. I though of putting the organ through them but im not sure about the rear sound coming over my shoulders when only playing organ but it would be better for the mix.
Regards,
Warren.
warrentdo
New here

Postby warrentdo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Hello,
So the latest i have come up with is I was thinking about the Adams A5X Pair with Sub8 Bundle or even the T5V Studio Monitors with T10S Subwoofer (to save some money, about half the price).
So do you think that pair of smaller speakers and a sub would provide the same kind of output of a proven A8X the I don’t really have space for (on top of an organ).
Regards,
Warren.
warrentdo
New here

Postby warrentdo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:47 am

Hello, just an update.

I did purchase the T5V Studio Monitors with T10S Subwoofer, but unfortunately it seems like im missing the lower mids? im not getting the full sound. This may be down to the 5 inch speakers?
is the only way to get the mids back to go upto something like an 8" speaker (or bigger)
How do people get on with smaller speakers as monitors?
Regards,
Warren.
warrentdo
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:40 am

TV5s and sub shouldn't be giving you any gaps if it's correctly set up. It's more likely to be a room effect, try moving the sub around and see what happens.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...