You are here

Setting up a bowling center for sound

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Setting up a bowling center for sound

Postby Party on » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:08 am

Alec5p, I agree with you. I have been through many well designed bowling/ entertainment centers, almost all of them have multiple speakers hanging from the ceiling over the lanes, usually spaced between 15'-25', usually aimed about 15 degrees downward. I have yet to see a center speaker array at a bowling center. I would think that delays would be ineffective in this scenario as all of the speakers are in parallel with each other, not trying to move the sound in one direction; unless I am missing something.

When I get to that point, I will take Mike's suggestion and hire a pro dealing with acoustics. There are a few contacts I have that might point me in the right direction.
Party on

Re: Setting up a bowling center for sound

Postby ef37a » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 am

I agree a central cluster works for many situations, used it myself for show rings with horns* high up on a scaff pole over the control porta-cabin. These days I would use high grade line source speakers. But a bowling centre is a different geometry. Long and thin. Where do you put the cluster?

Maybe centrally at the back wall where the balls go? You would still need some 'fills' I think further along both ways and these can be on a delay.

Everything hangs on the actual dimensions and layout. The number of lanes, the desired SPLs (and where to put them!) and the level of clarity required. At least with such a venue you can use most of the common acoustic materials and are not limited by food regulations as a supermarket is.

Someone said "get in a consultant"? Top advice.

*Shows how bloody old I am and how long ago it was! But the physics of sound propagation have not changed.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous