You are here

Help with Amp for speakers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Help with Amp for speakers

Postby abraxas444 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:58 am

Hi everyone i want to know if there is any reccomand for amp to connect my 3 units of speakers without damage the gear
i have a X2 passive speakers
350 watt 8 ohm

And the third speaker is a continues 300 watt and peak 600 watt 8 ohm

What kind of amp i need to connect the 3 speakers

2 peakers 350 watt 8 ohm like i said
And

1 speaker is 300 watt continuous and peak 600 watt

Thanks guys
abraxas444
Poster

Re: Help with Amp for speakers

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:54 am

Welcome! :thumbup:

Can of worms... possibly!

Budget??

Do you want to run stereo or mono or hadn't you considered that? And then there's the question of the third speaker...

Do you want to be able to control the volume of each speaker independently?

And how are you driving the amp? From an external mixer?

What's the set-up? Band? Disco? If band, what style and what instruments?

The simplest solution would be to run two speakers off one 'side' of a stereo amp and the third speaker from the other? Each 'side' would be fed the same signal so you're listening in mono.

The two speakers on one side would be daisy-chained.

As a very rough and ready starter-for-ten something like this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_e800.htm might suit...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby abraxas444 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:13 pm

thank you for your answear mike :))))

iam a dj pubs and outdoor enviorment small setup now im playing a house techno and progressive im using a controller MIXARS PRIMO and xlr to drive the amp phonic

my budget is 350 usd but i can up if there is any strong amp that can work with the third speaker with the diffrent watts with the 2 protechs speakers together

my setup for now that work perfect is a

2 speakers of PROTECH 350 watts and 8 ohm

amp phonic 1500 plus
https://www.amazon.ca/Phonic-MAX-1500-P ... B002NFBZT0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the third speaker issue i want to add in addition TO MY SETUP is a
SAMSON RS15 HD 300 WATTS CONTINIOUS AND 600 WATTS PEAK
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/produc ... hd/rs15hd/

any strong and reccomand amp that can work with the 3 speakers with the diffrent watts ill be glad for recommand :)))
thanks guys
and thanks again mike :))
abraxas444
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:58 pm

If you run everything based on the lowest power handling speaker you should be reasonable safe. But, with passive speakers the recommendation that you us an am with 1-1.5 times the rating of the speaker (that would mean between 450 and 600 watts RMS per channel at for your 300 watt speaker) That means if your Protech 350 watt speakers are rated RMS not peak or music power the Phonic is rather underpowered for them. Either way, if while using the system you listen out for signs of distortion you should be able to protect your speakers from damage (that is how we used to do it, modern powered speakers are pretty god at protecting themselves).

But, just adding another single speaker is going to make very little difference to the overall volume of the rig, and depending on the efficiency* of the various speakers you have may be unnoticeable in the real world.

* A quick google didn't throw up any useful info about your main speakers
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby abraxas444 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:23 pm

hi sam thank you for your answer :)

i understand . its suprrised me that MY AMP pohnic 1500 plus is underrataed .
I used to work with him i noticed a little bit distortion

THIS IS THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SPEAKERS PROTECH YOU RIGHT IS A RMS 350
protech 350 cb IVE GOT 2 OTHEM

Frequency response(-3dB) 50Hz~18KHz
Frequency response(-10dB) 40Hz-20KHz
Driver quantity 15"X 1 ED 44"X1
Sensitivity (dB/IM/IW) 97dB
Impedance 8 ohms
Power rating (RMS) 350W
Dispersion(HxV) 90°X60°
Connector type 2XNL4
Dimension(WXDXHmm/Pcs) 430X310X570mm
Gross weight(kg/Pcs) 18.0kg

so i guess i should buy stronger amp than the phonic 1500 anyhow

can you reccomand me for strong amp that can work with the 2 protech speakers
and the 1 samson rs 15 hd together total 3 speakers ?
i try to solve it next friday i shoud set up a new party

thanks again for the answer Sam :))
abraxas444
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01 pm

I haven't had separate power amps for several years; the last one I had was a Peavey IPR. Good value I thought and never let me down. They do a range of various power outputs.

I agree with Sam... I'd forget about the 3rd speakers unless you have to work an odd-shaped room where you need to make sound go round corners. In that situation I'd be looking for an additional smaller amp just to drive that extra speaker. But only if you really, really have to. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:29 pm

The Phonic amp gives 280 watts 'continuous average output power*' into 8 ohms. I'm guessing that it probably gives less than 200 watts RMS. I'd be looking at an amp which can provide at least 600 watts RMS into 8 ohms to get the best out of those speakers. Their efficiency is fairly typical at 97dB for 1 watt @ 1 metre suggesting a peak output of about 121dB SPL max which is easily bettered by even modestly prices powered speakers.

* Manufacturers of semi-pro equipment tend to avoid standard/defined means of measuring power, In car enter manufacturers are probably the worst with several made up standards like PMPO and 'music power'. Typically this means they can claim a 100 watt RMS amp delivers 400 watts PMPO 'cos nobody can measure and verify the claims because there is no specification for how to measure PMPO..... :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:32 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I haven't had separate power amps for several years; the last one I had was a Peavey IPR. Good value I thought and never let me down. They do a range of various power outputs.

While I'm not a fan of their speakers, Peavey's amplifiers and other electronic items have been pretty good in my experience. QSC also make decent amps but they're probably too expensive for this.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby abraxas444 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:41 pm

you guys are awsome !! thank you for the answer Sam Mike and James ! i really do appreciate that guys !! :)))

i learned a lot from you all guys in my next purches i should consider the knowledge !

its very intresting now how to make the 3 speakers work with 1 amp i just wonder if it could be efficiency 100% i guess its a problematic situation to add that cause the disparity of the waltts the manufactor didnt thought in that way to build an amp with diffrents rms channel?
very intresting

again guys super thanks for the professional answer !! sam mike james :)
abraxas444
Poster

Postby abraxas444 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:08 pm

i just thoght about diffrent solution and is to purches another amp to drive only the samson rs 15 hd speaker and connect it to my controller in BOOTH output

is that fine that one amp connect to xlr master ( the phonic with 2 speakers of protech 350 )?

and thats fine if one more amp with the third speaker (samson rs15hd) connect to BOOTH output ?

i have a mixars primo controller a second company of RCF its solid strong controller with many output
https://www.amazon.com/Mixars-Primo/dp/B01MTAIX8E

if that setup seems to you fine so ill ask you guys about strong amp only for the smason speaker rs 15hd with 300wats cont and 600 watts peak what model is gonna be effciency for samson ?
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/produc ... hd/rs15hd/

thanks again guys :)))
abraxas444
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:10 am

If you use one speaker on the booth output you'll only hear one side of the stereo signal unless you use a special combiner cable (or unless your mixer has a mono button somewhere).

As far as the amplifier goes - I'd be tempted to use the new speaker with your current Phonic amp in bridge mode and buy a new, more powerful amp for your existing speakers.
James Perrett

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 am

James Perrett wrote:If you use one speaker on the booth output you'll only hear one side of the stereo signal unless you use a special combiner cable (or unless your mixer has a mono button somewhere).

As far as the amplifier goes - I'd be tempted to use the new speaker with your current Phonic amp in bridge mode and buy a new, more powerful amp for your existing speakers.

:thumbup: Me too!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Me too, er... too.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby abraxas444 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:42 pm

i see i ll try to bridge the new speaker today ill let you know the result guys thanks a lot for all of that answers :))))))

there is any amp reccomandation for the protech speakers i can purches for ? any brand goes best?
abraxas444
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:15 pm

abraxas444 wrote:there is any amp reccomandation for the protech speakers i can purches for ? any brand goes best?

The QSC RMX2450 looks like a good match but not the cheapest of amps (but not the most expensive either). I've not used that particular model but I've used the next smaller one and it worked well (in an application where lesser amps were prone to failure). I've also heard good things about the Behringer amps but not used them personally.
James Perrett

Next