You are here

Post-covid Restaurant/bar remote setup.

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Post-covid Restaurant/bar remote setup.

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:56 pm

An exploration of possibilities.

I'd like to set up in a remote room and send video and audio to a restaurant or bar where folks are safely distancing and listening through the house background music system.

One bar I have in mind has multiple TVs, a HDMI distribution unit and an existing HDMI to audio connection.

Others might be amenable to a projector setup.

Any thoughts?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Post-covid Restaurant/bar remote setup.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:06 pm

Venues are still required to have any music at low levels so i'm not sure that the effort will be worth the reward.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Post-covid restaurant/bar remote setup.

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:23 pm

Got that but at the minute thinking purely of a technical setup if there were no other considerations.

At some point music will be re-introduced and I can imagine a few folky types in an upstairs room might be among the first experiments.

At the minute it's more of a fantasy conversation though.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:09 am

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field- ... o-recorder

I've got one. It records, and it live streams. If I'm not mistaken, it can do both simultaneously. It's not quite as good as I'd hoped, but for the price point, I can't really complain. The reason I jumped at it is because I am so in love with the Zoom H6, and I thought the Q2n might be similar. The main problem I'm having with it is lack of balance with levels - I'm singing and playing an acoustic instrument, but it picks up the instrument more clearly than the voice, so I'm having to learn how to balance voice and instrument while I'm playing (whereas when I record just audio, I use two mics and just adjust levels in the mix). So it's forcing me to be a better musician. And... the video quality isn't what the promotional material might lead you to expect. At least I haven't captured anything similar yet. But I've only just started using it. But it's lovely working with such a simple piece of equipment.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:52 am

awjoe wrote:https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/video-recording/zoom-q2n-4k-handy-video-recorder

I've got one. It records, and it live streams.

That looks really interesting. I'd be keen to know if it monitors to HDMI at the same quality as it records (any latency?) and if the line in would be happy to handle all audio duties from the desk. I had envisaged doing audio/video separately and combining them with a laptop but this would be much more useful.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:50 am

shufflebeat wrote:
awjoe wrote:https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/video-recording/zoom-q2n-4k-handy-video-recorder

I've got one. It records, and it live streams.

That looks really interesting. I'd be keen to know if 1) it monitors to HDMI at the same quality as it records (any latency?) and if 2) the line in would be happy to handle all audio duties from the desk. I had envisaged doing audio/video separately and combining them with a laptop but this would be much more useful.

1) dunno, haven't tried

2) dunno, haven't tried

It seems happier with more people in the room. Tonight I recorded me and my buddy: electric piano, electric guitar, voice with a wider angle shot and more distance between source and recorder and it was way better. It's an interesting device.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser