You are here

Free Standing Reverb Unit?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Free Standing Reverb Unit?

Postby Rockinroller » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:28 pm

I am looking for a free standing (non-rack mount) small form effects box with at least 5 or so types of effects/reverbs, etc that I can interface with my Yamaha MG10 mixer for live performance vocals, usually in small rooms. I don't need too much variety in terms of effects--just something that I can throw some reverb over the vocals with. I am not all too familiar with this sort of thing and am not looking for anything too expensive or sophisticated. Thanks in advance!
Rockinroller
New here

Re: Free Standing Reverb Unit?

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:32 pm

A second hand Alesis Picoverb or Nanoverb should cover all of your needs.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Rockinroller » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 pm

zenguitar wrote:A second hand Alesis Picoverb or Nanoverb should cover all of your needs.

Thanks!
Rockinroller
New here

Postby Rockinroller » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 am

Rockinroller wrote:
zenguitar wrote:A second hand Alesis Picoverb or Nanoverb should cover all of your needs.

Thanks!

On an unrelated topic, I've been looking at mixers with effects but have only considered those with XLR outputs. Do you know if there's any deterioration in quality if I were to purchase a mixer with built-in effects but has only 1/4" outputs (in which case I would use a 1/4" to XLR adapter from my powered speakers to the mixer)?
Rockinroller
New here

Postby resistorman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 am

If the 1/4" jacks are balanced TRS, then there would be no difference if it was fitted with XLR connectors. It's just a different connector.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:37 am

But if you do go down that route i'd recommend short adaptor cables rather than plugs. XLR to TRS plugs are bulky and can put a lot more strain on the socket.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:47 am

Rockinroller wrote:Do you know if there's any deterioration in quality if I were to purchase a mixer with built-in effects but has only 1/4" outputs

It's not the socket that determines the sound quality, although it might determine the reliability!

Sound quality is determined by the design of the circuitry. Most mixers using XLRs will provide symmetrical-balanced outputs, and using balanced outputs is helpful when it comes to avoiding interference and ground-loop problems. Many low cost compact mixers have balanced outputs on XLRs.

Where jack sockets are used, they could be carrying symmetrically -balanced signals, just like the XLR, but more often they are 'impedance balanced' which is often more versatile. It is still properly balanced from the point of view of avoiding interference and ground-loop problems, but it also works better if connected to unbalanced destinations. A lot of mixers use impedance balanced connections for direct outputs, aux and group sends etc.

And then there are the consumer-level and keyboard mixers which may have unbalanced jack outputs. These tend to cause problems with ground-loops, creating all manner of hums and buzzes, when used in your situation feeding remote powered speakers...

So the mixer with jack outputs may be fine, but you really need to take a look at the specifications and find out what kind of signal those jack outputs are actually carrying.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound