You are here

Question about audio chain, aux to sennheisser ew100 to cpu.

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Question about audio chain, aux to sennheisser ew100 to cpu.

Postby Paton.90 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 pm

Hello everyone, i'm having issues with some connections here.

I'm using a gl2600 allen heath mixer. I want to send one of mi aux out to a cpu, using its line in jack input on the soundboard. This is working quite well, but i'm not sure if i'm doing it the way it is supposed to be. I think sennheiser ew100 is expecting a mic signal as input but i'm sending an aux, i'm not sure what's signal level of an aux out, I suppose it is similar to line level, so i set the sennheisser sensibility to -30db, on the other side of the chain something similar happens. My soundboard is expecting a line level, so i set AF OUT to +6dB. Am i doing it right, or i should set it in a different way?

It would be something like this : AUX out -> Sennheiser ew100 -> Line in soundboard

My doubt is about the setting i should use on my sennheiser.

Thanks!
Paton.90

Re: Question about audio chain, aux to sennheisser ew100 to cpu.

Postby MOF » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:57 pm

Your send level to a transmitter mic’ input will need more attenuation, mic’ level is 60dB lower than line level.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi and welcome.

The GL 2600 aux out is, IIRC, +4dBU line level (I had a GL2200 for a while, nice desk).

The designation "Sennheiser EW100" covers a range of gear but, yes, most likely it's designed to accept a mic level signal.

I'm guessing you are referring to a computer's built in sound card when you refer to 'soundboard' and 'cpu' but correct me if I'm wrong. The standard built in sound card on a laptop to desktop computer could expect a mic level signal (which the EWI100 receiver is capable of supplying) or a 'consumer line level' signal of -10dBV. It is highly unlikely it will accept a +4dBU 'pro' line level signal without some attenuation.

More detail of exactly what you have, how it is connected and your aims when using the gear in what is an unorthodox manner please.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Paton.90 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:30 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Hi and welcome.

The GL 2600 aux out is, IIRC, +4dBU line level (I had a GL2200 for a while, nice desk).

The designation "Sennheiser EW100" covers a range of gear but, yes, most likely it's designed to accept a mic level signal.

I'm guessing you are referring to a computer's built in sound card when you refer to 'soundboard' and 'cpu' but correct me if I'm wrong. The standard built in sound card on a laptop to desktop computer could expect a mic level signal (which the EWI100 receiver is capable of supplying) or a 'consumer line level' signal of -10dBV. It is highly unlikely it will accept a +4dBU 'pro' line level signal without some attenuation.

More detail of exactly what you have, how it is connected and your aims when using the gear in what is an unorthodox manner please.

Hi Sam, thanks for the answer and sorry if you had trouble understanding me.
You're guessing right, i'm refering to a built in sound card. The thing is i'm sending some of my gl2600 channels to this sound card, through an aux out. The aux out is connected to a sennheiser ew100 g3 bodypack transmitter. I have this transmitter's sensibility set in -30dB. This transmitter is connected wirelessly to a receiver, which is connected to the "line in" jack of the sound card (the blue jack), and its "AF out" is set +6 dB. This is because i think transmitter is expecting a mic signal, not an aux one, so i attenuate it bychanging sensibility, but the transmitter has to send line level to the line in input of the sound card, so i set af out +6dB, but not sure if im using the right numbers..
Paton.90

Postby MOF » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:51 pm

I had a look at the operating manual for the transmitter and it says the 3.5mm jack is for mic’ and line, so you might be OK, have the sensitivity at or near it’s lowest level and then slowly increase the aux send level until the meter is showing the correct level, then listen to the receiver end to check it’s not distorted.
Why are you sending the aux signal to a recorder by radio mic’s?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Paton.90 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 am

MOF wrote:I had a look at the operating manual for the transmitter and it says the 3.5mm jack is for mic’ and line, so you might be OK, have the sensitivity at or near it’s lowest level and then slowly increase the aux send level until the meter is showing the correct level, then listen to the receiver end to check it’s not distorted.

Hi Mof, yes, the transmitter jack says "mic/line", that confuses me as both signals are quite different.. I tried to send the aux signal using some cables, mono, stereo, balanced, unbalanced but seems like there's some problems when you send an aux out directly to a line in input, it sounds noisy with all of them, by using this radio mics the noise dissapears.. This signal is sent to the on board sound card of a computer to use it on a software called "vmix", for videocalls. I'll do what you say, have the sensitivity as near it's lowest level and then see what happens. Now the way i have it right now is working fine, sometimes people say the volume is too low, so i change it now and then until it's ok, but i would like to know what the correct level should be, something like a nominal level so i can work correctly and not just by ear.
Paton.90

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Paton.90 wrote:
MOF wrote:I had a look at the operating manual for the transmitter and it says the 3.5mm jack is for mic’ and line, so you might be OK, have the sensitivity at or near it’s lowest level and then slowly increase the aux send level until the meter is showing the correct level, then listen to the receiver end to check it’s not distorted.

Hi Mof, yes, the transmitter jack says "mic/line", that confuses me as both signals are quite different..

The 'sensitivity' setting in the transmitter is adjustable to accommodate the different levels (much like the 'gain' control on a mixing desk input).

I tried to send the aux signal using some cables, mono, stereo, balanced, unbalanced but seems like there's some problems when you send an aux out directly to a line in input, it sounds noisy with all of them, by using this radio mics the noise dissapears..

What kind of noise it it? Hissing or similar is likely preamp noise which can usually be sorted with better gain structure, hums buzzes or 'digital hash' type noises are often caused by earthing issues, a transformer isolator* or a special cable or two can usually sort those out.

This signal is sent to the on board sound card of a computer to use it on a software called "vmix", for videocalls. I'll do what you say, have the sensitivity as near it's lowest level and then see what happens. Now the way i have it right now is working fine, sometimes people say the volume is too low, so i change it now and then until it's ok, but i would like to know what the correct level should be, something like a nominal level so i can work correctly and not just by ear.

TBH, most of us would do it by ear, if it sounds good, it is good. Every system is different so it's impossible to give specific numbers. Do a little googling for 'gain structure'.

* Art DTI is a useful box https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-dti Or Orchid transformer isolator is simple and extremely inexpensive http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/trans.htm
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Patón.90 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:47 am

Sam Spoons wrote:The 'sensitivity' setting in the transmitter is adjustable to accommodate the different levels (much like the 'gain' control on a mixing desk input).

What kind of noise it it? Hissing or similar is likely preamp noise which can usually be sorted with better gain structure, hums buzzes or 'digital hash' type noises are often caused by earthing issues, a transformer isolator* or a special cable or two can usually sort those out.

TBH, most of us would do it by ear, if it sounds good, it is good. Every system is different so it's impossible to give specific numbers. Do a little googling for 'gain structure'.

* Art DTI is a useful box https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-dti Or Orchid transformer isolator is simple and extremely inexpensive http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/trans.htm

Hi Sam. I think the noise is because of earthing issues, so probably one of those isolators would be worth trying (to be honest i didn't know they exist) What do you mean by "special cable"?
You're probably right and i'm being too meticulous with numbers, I'll read more about gain structure and try to set levels properly so the different meters show nice levels without distorting and that's it.
Patón.90

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am

The Art DTI receives a lot of love on here as a very versatile problem solver. It can convert several different connector formats and between balanced/unbalanced I/O in both directions. Must get around to buying one myself :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster