You are here

What does 4K audio mean to you?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby Atmosounds » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi everyone.

New to this forum, and apologies if this thread has already been covered.

I’ve engineered quite a few gigs, but my questions is:

Describe 4K audio?

I’ve had many conversations about 4K RMS and 4K amps, but with initial thoughts of 4K solely for pixels on a TV, many people have different connotations of what 4K audio is, what’s yours?

Cheers.
Atmosounds
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Totally meaningless.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9482
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby Atmosounds » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm

My thoughts exactly! Cheers
Atmosounds
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 pm

Yes, although curiously, people do seem to like discussing this abstract concept.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22What ... e&ie=UTF-8

(New one on me.)
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4412
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:38 pm

Strictly speaking about as good as a telephone circuit i.e. limited bandwidth. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1136
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby Folderol » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Rather like MOF, my description would be speech only audio.
Currently my hearing is good up to about 12k (it used to be 18k when I was a teenager).
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11123
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:00 pm

4K video is pretty meaningless as well. The sensor in a movie camera maybe 6K or 8K but most cinema projectors are 2K.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2521
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am
Location: . . .
 

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums.

Atmosounds wrote:I’ve engineered quite a few gigs, but my questions is:

Describe 4K audio?

I’ve had many conversations about 4K RMS and 4K amps...

4k audio is, on its own, a completely meaningless term...

But in the context of live sound and PA rigs -- which is what thismforum covers -- and with the terms 'RMS' and 'amps' thrown in, I'd presume you/they were talking about a PA rig with a 4 kilowatt power rating.

However, if you were talking about the sound associated with 4K UHD video content, '4k audio' is a colloquial term usually referring to home theatre preamps and receivers with HDMI 2.0 interfaces and the capability of handling audio from UHD content with data-encrypted to the HDCP2.2 standard.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27956
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Sounds like some marketing dept talking kkakk.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4879
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby Atmosounds » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Welcome to the SOS forums.

Atmosounds wrote:I’ve engineered quite a few gigs, but my questions is:

Describe 4K audio?

I’ve had many conversations about 4K RMS and 4K amps...

4k audio is, on its own, a completely meaningless term...

But in the context of live sound and PA rigs -- which is what thismforum covers -- and with the terms 'RMS' and 'amps' thrown in, I'd presume you/they were talking about a PA rig with a 4 kilowatt power rating.

However, if you were talking about the sound associated with 4K UHD video content, '4k audio' is a colloquial term usually referring to home theatre preamps and receivers with HDMI 2.0 interfaces and the capability of handling audio from UHD content with data-encrypted to the HDCP2.2 standard.


Thanks for that, yes it was more to do with live sound, the crossover into UHD seems a thin line, hence some of the responses. The PA rig with 4 kilowatt power rating is what my question was based on. In your opinion, how would a 4 kilowatt power rating rig be beneficial? Is it based on a large line array, or am I think to deep, I just like to know these things, thanks for some clarity.
Atmosounds
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby RichardT » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 pm

It’s not a term I’ve come across. It doesn’t affect the production of my music atall.
RichardT
Regular
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London UK
Samplehound-website My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 pm

When we talk about a 4k PA we are usually talking about the maximum output power of the amplifiers which, in this case would be 4 kilowatts. However, that tells you little about how loud a PA actually is because the efficiency of the speakers also needs to be taken into account. You may well find that a 1kW PA using efficient horn loaded speakers goes louder than a 4kW PA running into inefficient speakers.

Line arrays Vs point sources is yet another discussion.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9482
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby Atmosounds » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:11 pm

James Perrett wrote:When we talk about a 4k PA we are usually talking about the maximum output power of the amplifiers which, in this case would be 4 kilowatts. However, that tells you little about how loud a PA actually is because the efficiency of the speakers also needs to be taken into account. You may well find that a 1kW PA using efficient horn loaded speakers goes louder than a 4kW PA running into inefficient speakers.

Line arrays Vs point sources is yet another discussion.


Thanks James, it seems the mathematical scenarios and other considerations are needed, can you recommend any further reading? Links on here etc.

For my first foray into posting on this forum, it’s great to see a someone random question can have an answer. Cheers.
Atmosounds
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Re: What does 4K audio mean to you?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:22 pm

Hopefully Hugh might come along with some article recommendations but I've often seen the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook recommended which can be found at

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Reinforc ... 0881889008

although you may well find it cheaper if you do a search. It is also fairly old and, while the basics haven't changed, things like digital mixers and line arrays have become more prevalent (although line arrays are just an old idea that fell out of favour in the late 70's and were resurrected in the 2000's).
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9482
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page