You are here

Anyone now gigging?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Anyone now gigging?

Postby Dave B » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:50 am

Yesterday, out of the blue, I got a message asking if I would be prepared to do a gig next Sunday. Wow! I didn't expect that for at least another couple of months or so. It's at a large venue (arts centre) and I've been assured that it will be covid compliant / appropriate social distancing in place. No money, but I don't expect paying stuff this side of Christmas frankly.

I'm curious, so I said yes - I can isolate happily for a couple of weeks if needs be and need to look into the correct time to do a self-test, so I think I'm covered for that. And I don't think that I'll spend too long at the show itself - I'll just be playing so I can bowl in and out quite quickly.

Anyone else done anything / got anything lined up?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Anyone now gigging?

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:12 am

No gigs on the horizon but just booked a rehearsal space for this coming Sunday.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:14 am

Nothing happening up here that I'm aware of. I did wonder what the rules are for busking though?
I know the Beardy Festival took a punt and decided to delay rather than cancel and that's currently scheduled to go ahead but I think all the other ones round here cancelled. I've not heard of any of my muso buddies going back to gigging in the near future though so I guess you're a trail-blazer! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby RichardT » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:19 am

Not me. We've decided not even to rehearse until at least September. And I suspect that the band won't resume even then.
RichardT
Regular
Samplehound-website My last album sold over a million copies - if you don't believe me, come and look in my garage.

Postby S2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:11 am

No gigs with me, though we're booking rehearsals now the studios are open.
S2
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:48 am

Local bands are playing outdoor gigs at pubs but the more elderly of our Blues outfit are too nervous so nothing yet. We were due to play Norwich Beer Festival in October but that's now been cancelled, and ceilidhs also still getting cancelled rather than booked. (September now cleared out.)

So...no..! :thumbdown:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Interesting. I'm arguably more worried about rehearsals than I'd be about gigs as it is an enclosed space and the studios tend to be ... ahem ... optimistic about the number of people comfortably in the space at the best of times.

One of the bands I play in is pretty much on indefinite hiatus as the drummer's good lady is quite high risk and he just doesn't want to take any chances. I'm looking at September / October at least for another one. One other suggested meeting up but there was still some reluctance - and that band usually rehearses at a large company HQ so will wait until the office/campus is open again.

The thing on Sunday will be a load of blues stuff that I have played before and is largely jam-able. So I don't need to get too hung up on not rehearsing and really can shoot in and out with the minimal amount of unwanted interactions. And I might bump into some mates so it is doubly appealing. I'm more concerned that I'm gig-fit at the moment - I went to play a few weeks ago and found my playing was awful, so I've been playing along to stuff recently just to get back on some kind of form.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:23 pm

I've seen quite a few people on my social media doing gigs in pub gardens/car parks over the last couple of weeks. And lots of adverts for rehearsal studios.

Personally I'm not going to be doing any attended sessions for a while - not until I'm confident that we've got things under control. I suspect that the current flat line of cases is going to start to rise in the near future.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:45 pm

I'm pretty much the same, not that I do many gigs anyway but the open mic/guitar club I run is closed until at least October and my only gig would have been August Bank Holiday weekend, as I'm the organiser I can, and have, decided I don't want to be responsible for generating a crowd so that one is off.

Part of the driver is that Mrs S is highly vulnerable so we are being extra cautious but I don't think I would want to be going ahead even if she was not. I may consider playing at an informal busking/guitar trail type event in a local park late September if it comes together but only if the numbers are still moving in the right direction.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:53 pm

I've had some discussions about a pub a large garden on one of the afternoons over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Would probably be 2 or 3 bands, all say they can bring their own vocal mics, which is my biggest concern. Visiting the pub last weekend, they appeared to be well setup and doing things correctly.

I've said I'm up for it in theory, but will reserve the right to change my mind should circumstances alter, right up to the day before.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 pm

MarkPAman wrote:
Would probably be 2 or 3 bands, all say they can bring their own vocal mics, which is my biggest concern.

I can imagine sales of condoms will be on the up when this restarts. Possibly time for a refresher course.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.