You are here

Livestreaming with two output interface?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Livestreaming with two output interface?

Postby samstevenson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:40 am

I currently have a Scarlett 2i2 which is pretty meh but looking at 4i4s (two-output version).

I am trying to make a professional sounding Instagram livestream from home. I understand how to connect my DAW output to my phone input (have ordered a TRRS aux) but I'm having trouble with monitoring.

Essentially I am looking to have two separate outputs.

One of which will go to phone input via my interface's headphone output.
This will be playing simple tracks and live vocals / guitar from Logic.

The second output I want is a monitor (earphones/in-ears) for the tracks, but also a click for any potential gaps in the arrangements.

I have tried creating an aggregate device on my Mac and have the tracks going to Outputs 1+2 (my interface) and the isolated click going to Outputs 3+4 (built-in output).

I have not found a way to be able to have Outputs 1+2 just tracks and Outputs 3+4 tracks AND click.

I hope this was simple to understand and I'll appreciate any given advice cheers.

(Non-purchase based solutions would be ideal as I'm trying to save rn but lemme know.)
samstevenson

Re: Livestreaming with two output interface?

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:47 am

Hei!

Not sure if it exists form Mac, but on Windows the Voxengo recorder is a VST plugin that you put on the master bus and will send the data on the bus to any hardware seen by the OS audio subsystem (on a PC, typically the onboard interface). Maybe something similar exists for Mac?

Given that the Mac has onboard sound, you already have two "interfaces" (the Scarlett and the onboard one).

Or perhaps that's what you were asking? :D

PS: nothing wrong with the Scarlett, why should it be "meh"?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby samstevenson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:40 pm

CS70 wrote:Or perhaps that's what you were asking? :D

Hey thanks will look into that. Yeah so I've figured how to utilise Mac sound for click and interface for tracks but not how to basically send tracks out two different outputs simultaneously (interface AND Mac output).

It it possible it split one signal into two separate outputs like this with that plugin?

Also the Scarlett ain't bad, but when I look at the UAD stuff...
samstevenson

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:03 pm

samstevenson wrote:
CS70 wrote:Or perhaps that's what you were asking? :D

Hey thanks will look into that. Yeah so I've figured how to utilise Mac sound for click and interface for tracks but not how to basically send tracks out two different outputs simultaneously (interface AND Mac output).

Here some mac expert will hopefully come and help out soon!

Also the Scarlett ain't bad, but when I look at the UAD stuff...

Well it does much less, but what it does, it does (almost) as well? And definitely the difference would be totally lost in any streaming situation.

Don't mind the scarlett (unless you need more inputs or preamp emulations or external DSP capacity), it's more than fine for your purposes.

Wish you great streaming!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:49 pm

I'd start by setting up an 'aggregate device' but I'm not sure you can include the onboard sounds on that. But have you also looked into the Focusrite 'mix control' app for the scarlett, not sure if it allows a separate mix to the headphone socket (I suspect not but can't check as I'm not at home 'till tomorrow evening, will try to look then).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:15 pm

I've just had a look at the Scarlett user guide, there is an option to produce 'custom mixes' with different mixes going to the headphones and the line outputs. You can also mix live inputs with DAW playback so it may be possible to work out a way of getting your click into the cans and a stereo mix going to the live stream. I can't investigate further as I don't have a Scarlett (my spare AI is a Saffire Pro 24 which uses a different app).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:31 pm

If you're using the scarlett mix control you can set different mixes to different outputs. So you could set your stereo mix to go to the main outputs and then a separate mix that also has the click to go to headphones.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...