You are here

Input running hot?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Input running hot?

Postby revdrlon » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi guys, I have been running a streaming radio show for a few weeks now and I am having issues with my input running too hot and it is clipping. The final mix or the channel clip isnt clipping though.

I am running a Peavey PV10BT board.

The input that is clipping is a Sony Walkman NW-65 media player.

I have the player plugged into the 3.5mm stereo input on the 5/6 channel.

I have a Mic (Sennheiser ME67) running in channel 1 with phantom power and it sounds great, no clipping.

The sound from the player is sooo blown out BUT when I hit solo it is completely perfect, no clipping whatsoever.

Can somebody please tell me what is going on?

I have some experience in sound but not much.
revdrlon

Re: Input running hot?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:42 pm

revdrlon wrote:The sound from the player is sooo blown out BUT when I hit solo it is completely perfect, no clipping whatsoever.

Can somebody please tell me what is going on?

That doesn't make a lot of sense, since the SOLO signal is derived after the (rotary) fader, so takes into account your input gain and fader settings.

I'm wondering if you're applying an effect or perhaps the Kosmos bass EQ which is having a significant effect on compressed, full-bandwidth material from your Walkman?

I'd try switching off the effects and Kosmos facility to start with and see what happens...

But at the end of the day, if you're having overload problems with one specific channel, the obvious solution is to turn down that channel's input level!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Input running hot?

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:44 pm

Sounds like you might have something looping somewhere, or an Aux return adding too much of something back in. A picture of how you've got your board set up might help?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...