You are here

Solo Singer Set Up

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Solo Singer Set Up

Postby Andrewjb1 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi All

Im just looking to get back into performing as a solo singer, just a few pub gigs to build my confidence back up, its been over 15 years since I last did this and need help with a few things:

What do singers use for backing tracks now? midi always used to sound cheap, am I best to use audio, mp3 or midi? Are there any specific sites people use to download tracks cheap or if I want to change the key or backing what am I best to use?
What software do I use? I have a MacBook and iPad and would also like something that prompts for lyrics, again low cost or free.
Also I need a small PA system, any recommendations here? what wattage? bluetooth? powered speakers? not looking for anything special.

I would like to keep the costs down to a minimum if possible then I can always upgrade if I start earning from performing. Ive been researching but its getting really confusing and just want to keep it simple to start.

Many Thanks

Andrew
Andrewjb1

Re: Solo Singer Set Up

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Yamaha Stagepas PA systems are compact light and sound very good for the money. I'd steer clear of bluetooth for tracks but a iPad or 'droid is probably the best device for playback and lyrics just use it wired. I can't help with a suitable app though I'm sure there are dozens out there.

Oh and welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby RichardT » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yamaha Stagepas PA systems are compact light and sound very good for the money. I'd steer clear of bluetooth for tracks but a iPad or 'droid is probably the best device for playback and lyrics just use it wired. I can't help with a suitable app though I'm sure there are dozens out there.

I have a Stagepas PA and I can confirm they are good. For lyrics, you could use an app such as For Score on an iPad. I use it for managing my music, but it’s just as good for lyrics. You can link an audio file to each tune and build tunes into set lists, so it gives you a simple way to manage everything in one place.
RichardT
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Actually I use "My Lyric Book", it also allows audio files to be added to lyrics but doesn't auto-scroll in time with the track. It's mainly designed for lyrics and you can page turn via BT but I think it'll be a bit clunky compared to a 'proper' app (I'm reluctant to use the 'k' word but look at karaoke apps..... :blush: ). And support for 'MLB' is limited, it's an old app the dev is a one man band so I'm not sure how many more iOS updates it'll survive.

Will look into 'For Score' myself
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Andrewjb1 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yamaha Stagepas PA systems are compact light and sound very good for the money. I'd steer clear of bluetooth for tracks but a iPad or 'droid is probably the best device for playback and lyrics just use it wired. I can't help with a suitable app though I'm sure there are dozens out there.

Thank you and thanks for advice re bluetooth. Will look into the Stagepas systems.

Thanks again

Andrew
Andrewjb1