You are here

PA subs cant decide

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

PA subs cant decide

Postby tallen55 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:09 pm

Please help me decide: I have offer to sell my current subwoofer system for $2300. It is 2 JBL STX818S, 2 Crown XLi3500 power amps, rolling shock resistant rack and 2 40’ speaker cables, furman power conditioner and DBX drive rack. All like new. This system works great! However, I am considering selling it to purchase new Yamaha 18” powered subs DXS18XLF. The top line ones that are $1500 ea. So I would need the $2300 plus another $700. Can the powered subs even compare to the passive? Is it worth it to reduce weight and space of the passive system? Or am I better off keeping what I have. I’ve never owned powered subs, but I’m happy with my powered mains. Thanks
tallen55
Poster

Re: PA subs cant decide

Postby Mike Monte » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:29 am

I am not quite sure of your PA's application; DJ/band/karaoke/whatever but the weak link in your sub set up is your power amplifier IMO.
Your amp has enough watts but the damping factor (200) is quite low.

In my sub rigs I use Crown Itech (original series) power amps and my (old) subs kick a**.

Try a true sub amplifier (Crown IT5000HD...I recently bought a factory refurb unit - excellent) and see what you think.
If you think that your subs sound good now, try a real amp. It will truly wake-up your cabs.
Mike Monte
Regular

Postby resistorman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:36 am

The Yamaha will be optimized for its dsp and amplifier and a whole lot simpler to use.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:31 am

The max SPL of the Yamaha's is higher than the JBLs (136dB/132dB) so even with better amplifiers they won't go quite as loud (4dB is not a huge difference though). They are slightly (3.9kg) heavier but you won't need the amp rack. The DSP ensures the amps are correctly matched to the speakers for best efficiency so all things consideredI'd say they would be a decent step up if you feel the need to upgrade your current subs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:21 pm

All of the above, but what are your tops and what do you use them for?

If you come back saying you're using Yamaha DXR/DSR tops, then getting the "matching" sub may be a really smart move. Perhaps less so if you'll end up with mixed brands.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby tallen55 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. I use my PA for live bands. Country to metal. My tops are currently two DSR112 (will upgrade to DZR at some point)
tallen55
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:54 pm

As Alex says, go for the Yamaha subs as they are designed to complement the DZR tops. Many powered tops and subs have the HPF and LPF, respectively, elements of the crossover in the separate cab. Mix and match and you may end up with mismatched HPF/LPF frequencies or slopes. In this case though the DXS18XLF does have a DSP out so can handle all crossover functions.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby tallen55 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks for all of your advise everyone. Definitely leaning toward the Yamaha subs now, once I get the cash from the JBL system.
tallen55
Poster