You are here

Looking for information on specific gear

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Looking for information on specific gear

Postby Jenda Oceans » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:42 pm

Hello, I am looking for a specific piece of gear but I'm not sure if it even exists. I have attempted searching for it but have had poor results. So, I thought someone here may have the knowledge I seek.
I am looking for a small portable EQ with low and high pass filters. Preferably it would have stereo in and out. I have considered an EQ guitar effects pedal but was hoping there were other options I am not aware of.
Jenda Oceans
New here

Re: Looking for information on specific gear

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Is the for use with microphone signals? Line level? Instrument level?

Balanced or unbalanced?

Battery powered or mains powered?

Just filters, or filters with 2- / 3-band EQ?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Jenda Oceans » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:04 pm

I believe this would be line level as I want to connect a Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator to it. But, in the future I may add some other small synthesizers as well. I have ordered a PO-14 Sub and a Zoom MS-70CDR effects pedal. The pedal has two left and right TS ins and outs I believe and I planned on connecting a 3.5" TRS to 1/4" TS Y- cable between the PO-14 and the Zoom. Battery operated would be preferred.
Jenda Oceans
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:19 pm

Not necessarily battery powered but a small digital mixer would do what you need, say a Behringer XR-12?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Jenda Oceans » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:42 pm

Thank you for the recommendation, the XR-12 looks interesting. Unfortunately it wouldn't be suitable for my application. What I'm trying to achieve is a small portable audio palette to stay creative and retain some of my humanity while I am forced into extreme overtime at work. I have lost all ability to practice and create at home so I am determined to find some way to resist the oppressive forces attempting to restrain me. In addition to the two pieces of equipment I listed previously I also have an old Tascam DP-004 recorder that I plan on using. I just thought it would be useful to have the ability to twist a knob or slide a pad or something to adjust a filter and EQ. The filter is more important to me though so the EQ isn't absolutely necessary.
Jenda Oceans
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:26 am

Dedicated and adjustable HPF and LPFs are rare and expensive and probably found amongst modular synth hardware. Analogue mixing desks often have a LPF but rarely a HPF. The only way I can see you getting what you want at a reasonable cost is with something like the XR.

TBF, as a guitar player I'm not hugely familiar with modern synth hardware so there may be something out there.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 am

How about a stereo 3 way crossover, and take the output from the mid band?

For instance: https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CCT
- I've no idea if you'd count this as small & portable enough, and it's certainly not battery powered.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:30 am

This sounds like a job for iPad/interface and controller. I'm not sure what would be appropriate but certainly a route to explore

Do you already have an iPad?

Do you particularly want to stay analogue/avoid digital or are you open to just getting the job done well?

What's your budget?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Jenda Oceans » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:15 pm

I don't currently have any Apple devices. During my research I stumbled across the Korg Monotron Delay. During one of the videos I watched it appeared to have the ability to adjust the filter of any sound coming into it. This may suit my needs. Honestly, I'm trying to keep cost low (under $100 USD) I think I'll investigate this Monotron Delay a bit more. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Jenda Oceans
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:26 pm

An old Drawmer DS201 2 channel noise gate has variable high pass and low pass filters. The only problem is that it is a 19" rack device.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby al_diablo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Would something like a kaoss pad mini do what you need? They're just over your budget but probably in the right price bracket second hand
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:31 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:... Analogue mixing desks often have a LPF but rarely a HPF....

I think you'll find it's the other way around... ;) :)

Easily done, says one who's done it himself several times in forum posts. :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:10 pm

You are right of course :blush: :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Jenda Oceans » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:10 pm

The Kaoss pad mini 2 looks interesting. I have this feeling like I'm going to buy more gear than I initially anticipated. If anyone is familiar with the Korg Monotron Delay how would I record from it? Via the headphone out? I don't see any other outputs on it.
Jenda Oceans
New here