You are here

Peavy XRD 680

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Peavy XRD 680

Postby JohnQDodo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:33 am

I recently acquired an old Peavy XRD 680 from a friend of mine. It's not currently working but I got all the parts I need to repair it. This is my first PA build. I've built/repaired a lot of guitar/bass amps/cabs but this is my first go on a PA system. Anybody know anything about these? Is it worth it to buy some speakers and build a system out of it that I can use or should I just repair it, sell it and buy something else? I got the head for free and I probably spent about $40 on parts so I don't mind investing a little if it's something my band could use, but is it worth it? We would just be using it to practice and maybe for a few smaller gigs. Also any recommendations for speakers that would work well with this would be appreciated. It says that it's 150 Watts/4 ohms.
JohnQDodo
New here

Re: Peavy XRD 680

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:33 am

It's not really powerful enough to drive then properly but there are a lot of Electrovoice sx300 speakers on the second hand market that used to be quite expensive but are going for peanuts and should do the job nicely.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby resistorman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:07 am

It’s not the worst sounding head if you don’t pair it with Peavey Speakers :D

I fixed a few during my career as a Peavey service center. Surprisingly durable. Agree EV passive speakers would sound decent.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:02 pm

Though if you can find a used pair of Yorkville Elite speakers that would be better. The old E series with RCF drivers were great. I personally like 10” woofers over 12”.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby JohnQDodo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone! I’m not finding any sx300’s for cheap in my area, although I suppose it’s relative. I’m seeing a lot of Peavey PR12’s for like $60/each. Anybody know if those would sound ok with the 680?
JohnQDodo
New here

Postby resistorman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Not the best sounding speakers in the world but they’d work ok. Hard to go wrong for 60 bucks.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby JohnQDodo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:20 pm

That’s what I was thinking. I mean, my band plays punk so it’s not like we need some crazy setup. Appreciate the advice resistorman!
JohnQDodo
New here

Postby resistorman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:53 am

JohnQDodo wrote:That’s what I was thinking. I mean, my band plays punk so it’s not like we need some crazy setup. Appreciate the advice resistorman!

OK then, I think you’ll find that the sound will suit! I ran sound for a pretty famous Cajun band and the main man used an XRD for his accordion. The manager was apologetic yet firm and said “listen, don’t try to “fix” the sound”. I didn’t and it was a good show.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Monte » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:01 pm

The powered mixer that you have is not-that-old compared to the Crate PCM-DP mixer that I bought new around 1990...and it still works!

A previous poster suggests getting a pair of Yorkville e series speakers. I have four passive e10's and they do a very good job along with the above mixer. The EV's (mentioned earlier) are also excellent.

You mentioned that you are in a "punk" band. I'm not quite sure if your mixer can handle some kick drum added but for vocals it's worth a shot. (What do you have to lose?)
At the least you should be able to use the mixer to power a monitor mix.....

As far as repairing the unit, I'd first start out by opening it up and "blowing out" the dust. Then I'd follow-up with some (plastic safe) contact cleaner on all of the circuit boards, in/out jacks (and "work them"), plus the on/off power switch (and toggle it a bunch of times) and pots.

You'd be surprise what a little contact cleaner can do....

As far as buying speakers I suggest that you not rush into it at this time. October/November is usually the best time to purchase used gear as people are selling-off stuff to have $ for the Holidays (at least in my area).

I'm all-for resurrecting old gear...
Mike Monte
Regular

Postby JohnQDodo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:31 am

Yeah, I probably should have used some contact cleaner but I just blew it out with my compressor. I didn’t see any real signs of corrosion or discoloration so I’m hoping it’ll be ok. I really went through it and even used a tiny paint brush to get all the crud out.

My buddy had it in his closet for like 10 years so it was stored pretty well. He tripped over it back in the day and broke like 6 of the xlr inputs and 2 pots lol. I replaced all that stuff already and I just need some speakers and cables to test it.

I found some EV sx100’s a few miles up the road for like $230, but that seems a little pricey. What do you guys think?
JohnQDodo
New here

Postby Mike Monte » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 am

JohnQDodo wrote:Yeah,

I found some EV sx100’s a few miles up the road for like $230, but that seems a little pricey. What do you guys think?

It depends how old they are....and the condition (dents in the grill really drop the value IMO).
I'd go check them out. I think that they use a 1/4" TS speaker connector. Make a speaker tester out of a 1/4" male plug with two wires; one soldered to + (tip) one to - (ring ) and bring a 9V battery. Insert the plug into the cab and touch the two bare wires to the 9V (one to + and one to -). When you do, you should hear some (scratching) sounds coming from the horn and woofer (listen closely to each). It's not the most scientific way but you will know if they can make sound or not.
$230 asking price usually means that the seller wants $200.00 & he'll shave off 30 beans to make the buyer feel like he's getting a deal - lol.
If they work:
Offer 'em $175.00 cash-in-hand.
Mike Monte
Regular

Postby resistorman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:35 am

For the record, blowing out pots with an compressor is not recommended. You wind up blowing out the lube. The best stuff is Caig Fader Lube. Also, Craig deoxit on the jacks will get rid of corrosion. Spray a little on a plug and work it in and out. Sometimes a switching jack like the input of the power amp will need some sprayed in directly. If it works, leave it alone though, sometimes plugging in will disrupt the contacts.
resistorman
Frequent Poster