You are here

Mackie PA Speakers, SRM550/650 power split (also DRM212/215)

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Mackie PA Speakers, SRM550/650 power split (also DRM212/215)

Postby doktorjones » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi, from what I read the 1600W peak power of the Mackie SRM550 (one 12" woofer, one tweeter) or SRM650 (one 15" woofer, one tweeter) is split/divided evenly between the low and high frequency amp systems. I've seen that in the spec sheets and in less formal descriptions... this doesn't quite make sense to me, as the energy required for HF ought to be less, and for example the later, higher end Mackie DRM series splits the power more like 3:1 with more to the Woofer.

Can anyone make sense of this? Are there indeed two separate amp units with the same power each? If we expect 800W rms/cts from each unit, that means 400W rms/ctsfor each driver? That is what it says in the manual p. 21
https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/ ... 750_OM.pdf

So, getting loud, the limiting reagent will be the low driver, whereas the reserve power for the HF is "wasted", and overall this might push air more like a 1000-1200W peak (500-600 rms/cts) system?

I'm interested in either the 550/650 based on some used item price points, as well as the automatic anti-feedback feature. Something just tells me it will save my ears at some point in the next 5 years.

ALSO related.. if I were to get DRM212 or 215 instead of the SRM series..
the frequency graph here
https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/ ... 315_OM.pdf
on p. 24, looks pretty nasty for the 212 (12" woofer + tweeter), with a 10dB drop notch right above 1000Hz, but pretty flat for the 215 (15" woofer + tweeter). Think this is accurate? Were they basically designed for the 215, and set up to be relatively flat, and then the 212 design was a hatchet job off the 215, without a proper recalibration of the cabinet acoustics or crossover?

Thanks for adding any rationality to the situation. With limited stock and covid running around, Guitar Center's here in the USA are looking pretty sad, and It's impossible to audition any of these at a shop.

-Greg, Massachusetts USA
doktorjones

Re: Mackie PA Speakers, SRM550/650 power split (also DRM212/215)

Postby John Pinchin » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:15 am

Those spec pages will be a misprint - usually these type of boxes will be 400W and 100W split or thereabouts.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the graphs and output power ratings unless there is a lot more detail about the quality of the tests, speaker effeciency etc - spl is the main figure that might be useful if the manufacturer is honest about it.
Luckily being an all in one box it is pretty much plug and play so you just need to consider if they are loud enough and reliable enough for the gigs.
John Pinchin
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:51 am

Pretty sure those specs will be correct, I have QSC K12s and Yamaha DXR 10s, the Yamaha's have 850/150 watts the QSCs 500/500 watts so it's not unheard of to have two identical amplifier modules. As John says, the important thing is the max SPL and, I would add, the sound quality. Also, 15" cabs don't usually sound good for vocals as those with 10" or 12"LF drivers if they have typical HF drivers with 1.5" diaphragms and ~ 1" VC. Bigger HF drivers work better as they can allowed for a lower crossover frequency that doesn't;t leave a hole in the vocal range when teamed with a 15" LF driver.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby doktorjones » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks for the viewpoints.. the one about 12" being better than 15" for vocal applications is definitely relevant. We'll want 'em for general purpose, but vocals in the practice room is a major one.

The range of speakers here generally quote SPL in the 130 dB's ... I guess the real question is how loud vs what distortion.

Last question, on the SRM series, anyone know the difference between the revision variants B00 vs B01? It's cheaper for me to obtain a nonmatched set, which I'd prefer if the revision is trivial, but I'd rather not if the electronics or crossover, or the menu system are changed. (I'll avoid it unless I can get some confirmatory information. Maybe I can try Mackie themselves)

-Greg
doktorjones

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Decent speakers are a pretty big investment so you really should try them before you buy, preferably side by side with the other possible candidates. A few years ago I tried about ten different 12+H active cabs, including QSC K12/1 (which I bought), Yamaha DRX12 (I bought 3 x DXR 10s) RCF, JBL and Mackie SRM450 mk3 (I think). The SRM450 mk3 was the worst of the bunch by a noticeable margin, I had always been a fan of the SRM45 mk1 so it was disappointing to discover how poor the mk3 was.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:58 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Decent speakers are a pretty big investment so you really should try them before you buy, preferably side by side with the other possible candidates.

When I decided it was time for some better speakers, I'd got quite used to using the SRM450s + the matching Subs, and at the time everybody seemed to have them in stock. So it was relatively easy to get a side by side test setup with a known system wherever I wanted.

Was quite a long search, I must have listened to a dozen or more systems over a few months, without being completely convinced by anything I could afford. Then I spotted an RCF TT+ system ex-demo, for not that much more than my planned budget, and my listening test, against the known Mackie, on that occasion must have lasted about 2 seconds before I decided to buy them. Still going strong*, and I'm still impressed with the sound about 12 years later.

So, what I think I'm trying to say, is take your time and listen to lots before you buy.

*OK - somebody (drunk and helpful, when help was not wanted) dropped one of the tops down a few stone steps onto cobbles in a castle, which badly cracked the main circuit board, containing both the PSU & LF amp, so the cost me about £500 to fix, but that's not the speaker's fault.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I had always been a fan of the SRM45 mk1 so it was disappointing to discover how poor the mk3 was.

Sam, do you think that's a big difference in the speakers, or that things have moved on?
I seem to recall that Mk1 was an RCF design, while the later ones were tweaked for whatever reason by the Mackie in house team.

I've never actually done an AB test between Mk1 & Mk3.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:19 pm

Not sure, I do think the original Italian built mk1s were better than the Chinese built mk3's I demoed but I haven't done a side by side demo either so it could just be that my expectations were higher. I had been using mk1s fairly regularly not long before I went looking to upgrade my own rig so I think I was still pretty familiar with them.

Before I retired I was using a pair of RCF TT's belonging to a regular client. They are indeed superb, but cost double my budget and weighed twice what my K12s weigh... It was the same client's QSC K12's, used on the acoustic stage at a small festival, that prompted me to start looking to upgrade my own rig. They were my favourites* of the numerous speakers I tried and, as I managed to get the importers demo pair for a decent price, I bought them. about 8 years on and they are still going strong.

* well, almost, the DSR 12's were close but not 'better' (and £1800 a pair where the K12's were £1500 a pair), the RCF 712 (I think) with it's 2" tweeter was seriously nice but £2200 a pair was too far over budget. After all that getting the ex-demo QSC's for only £1200 made it an easy decision.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:54 pm

A friend of mine had a pair of the Mk 1s and when one died (after a long and happy life) he replaced it with a Mk3 assuming that they'd be close enough to make no difference. The the mk3 was, to my ears and his, notably worse - both harsher and muddier - but he used both for another couple of years without any punters ever commenting on it...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:10 pm

blinddrew wrote:The the mk3 was, to my ears and his, notably worse - both harsher and muddier

That was pretty much my feeling, took me about 5 seconds to decide it wasn't for me...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:02 pm

MarkPAman wrote:Then I spotted an RCF TT+ system ex-demo, for not that much more than my planned budget, and my listening test, against the known Mackie, on that occasion must have lasted about 2 seconds before I decided to buy them. Still going strong*, and I'm still impressed with the sound about 12 years later.
Years back, I had the opportunity to buy a full TT+ system TT22 tops plus 18" TTS subs for £2,500 - always regretted not snapping that up. At the very least, I could easily have resold it for a profit.

Sam Spoons wrote:Before I retired I was using a pair of RCF TT's belonging to a regular client. They are indeed superb, but cost double my budget and weighed twice what my K12s weigh.

the RCF 712 (I think) with it's 2" tweeter was seriously nice but £2200 a pair was too far over budget.
I ended up with a pair of RCF ART 722, which are the much nicer ones with the 2" compression driver. They are indeed fantastic - and, like you, appreciate the fact that they're lighter than the TT units.

I also have 4 x ART 710, mainly used as monitors, but astonishingly capable for the weight/sze/price.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:52 pm

AlecSp wrote:I ended up with a pair of RCF ART 722, which are the much nicer ones with the 2" compression driver. They are indeed fantastic - and, like you, appreciate the fact that they're lighter than the TT units.

I stand corrected, it was the 722's that I demoed and liked.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster