You are here

Microphone and speaker for lectures

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby notuno » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi everybody, I need amplification for lecturing in a large room with about 40 people, while wearing a mask and moving around. I would like a solution that does not involve a computer, and with equipment that I can carry with me each time and connect easily. Budget is 100 euros.

Are there lapel mics that can be connected directly to a bluetooth speaker? Or maybe to a phone, and from this to a bluetooth speaker? What other possibilities are there? I searched a bit but some pointers would be welcome. Thanks.
notuno
Poster
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 pm


Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Depends if you want a headset...

I bought a QTX PAL8 in the summer - surprisingly effective for voice and good value for money.

I'm using mine with the supplied handheld radio mic and an additional clip-on radio mic on a different frequency. But that would put your costs up...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7567
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby notuno » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:20 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Depends if you want a headset...

I bought a QTX PAL8 in the summer - surprisingly effective for voice and good value for money.

I'm using mine with the supplied handheld radio mic and an additional clip-on radio mic on a different frequency. But that would put your costs up...

That's a bit more bulky ad costly than I need. I do need a hands free mic, and I think I'd prefer a lapel mic over a headset. Wearing a headset AND a surgical mask may be a bit too much for me.
notuno
Poster
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 pm


Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 am

Normal use here seems to be to place the speaker on a table between the teacher & the class, and I'm not aware of feedback issues. But as I said, I'm not a user, and have probably only seen/heard one in use about twice, and then not for long.*

If you are worried about feedback, then a headset mic would be a much better choice. In fact in terms of sound quality, it will be anyway.

* I've now emailed a member of staff who does use it occasionally, so if/when she gets back to me, I'll pass on anything useful.
User avatar
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 969
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Somewhere between Portsmouth & Chichester

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:52 am

IME lavalieres are ok for broadcast/recording but not so much for sound reinforcement as they are too far from the sound source (i.e. your mouth).* A headset positioned in the usual place, at the corner of the mouth, outside the mask will be a much more effective solution.

* Lavalieres are often used in theatre but almost invariably taped to the actors forehead under the hairline or similar. It's a compromise for appearance and theatre SR systems are pretty sophisticated to cope with the issues using them in that way inevitably causes.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13615
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby notuno » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:02 pm

MarkPAman wrote:Normal use here seems to be to place the speaker on a table between the teacher & the class, and I'm not aware of feedback issues. But as I said, I'm not a user, and have probably only seen/heard one in use about twice, and then not for long.*

If you are worried about feedback, then a headset mic would be a much better choice. In fact in terms of sound quality, it will be anyway.

* I've now emailed a member of staff who does use it occasionally, so if/when she gets back to me, I'll pass on anything useful.

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a model very similar to the one you suggested, apart from the fact that it comes with both a wireless headset and a wired one. Indeed I was wrong about lavalier mics.
notuno
Poster
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby notuno » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:06 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:IME lavalieres are ok for broadcast/recording but not so much for sound reinforcement as they are too far from the sound source (i.e. your mouth).* A headset positioned in the usual place, at the corner of the mouth, outside the mask will be a much more effective solution.

* Lavalieres are often used in theatre but almost invariably taped to the actors forehead under the hairline or similar. It's a compromise for appearance and theatre SR systems are pretty sophisticated to cope with the issues using them in that way inevitably causes.

Thanks. I should tell this to our higher ups that are thinking of buying a lot of lavalier mics, but maybe I won't so I'll look smart with my headset ;)
notuno
Poster
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 pm