You are here

Microphone and speaker for lectures

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby notuno » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi everybody, I need amplification for lecturing in a large room with about 40 people, while wearing a mask and moving around. I would like a solution that does not involve a computer, and with equipment that I can carry with me each time and connect easily. Budget is 100 euros.

Are there lapel mics that can be connected directly to a bluetooth speaker? Or maybe to a phone, and from this to a bluetooth speaker? What other possibilities are there? I searched a bit but some pointers would be welcome. Thanks.
notuno
Poster

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Depends if you want a headset...

I bought a QTX PAL8 in the summer - surprisingly effective for voice and good value for money.

I'm using mine with the supplied handheld radio mic and an additional clip-on radio mic on a different frequency. But that would put your costs up...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby notuno » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:20 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Depends if you want a headset...

I bought a QTX PAL8 in the summer - surprisingly effective for voice and good value for money.

I'm using mine with the supplied handheld radio mic and an additional clip-on radio mic on a different frequency. But that would put your costs up...

That's a bit more bulky ad costly than I need. I do need a hands free mic, and I think I'd prefer a lapel mic over a headset. Wearing a headset AND a surgical mask may be a bit too much for me.
notuno
Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 am

Normal use here seems to be to place the speaker on a table between the teacher & the class, and I'm not aware of feedback issues. But as I said, I'm not a user, and have probably only seen/heard one in use about twice, and then not for long.*

If you are worried about feedback, then a headset mic would be a much better choice. In fact in terms of sound quality, it will be anyway.

* I've now emailed a member of staff who does use it occasionally, so if/when she gets back to me, I'll pass on anything useful.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:52 am

IME lavalieres are ok for broadcast/recording but not so much for sound reinforcement as they are too far from the sound source (i.e. your mouth).* A headset positioned in the usual place, at the corner of the mouth, outside the mask will be a much more effective solution.

* Lavalieres are often used in theatre but almost invariably taped to the actors forehead under the hairline or similar. It's a compromise for appearance and theatre SR systems are pretty sophisticated to cope with the issues using them in that way inevitably causes.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby notuno » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:02 pm

MarkPAman wrote:Normal use here seems to be to place the speaker on a table between the teacher & the class, and I'm not aware of feedback issues. But as I said, I'm not a user, and have probably only seen/heard one in use about twice, and then not for long.*

If you are worried about feedback, then a headset mic would be a much better choice. In fact in terms of sound quality, it will be anyway.

* I've now emailed a member of staff who does use it occasionally, so if/when she gets back to me, I'll pass on anything useful.

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a model very similar to the one you suggested, apart from the fact that it comes with both a wireless headset and a wired one. Indeed I was wrong about lavalier mics.
notuno
Poster

Postby notuno » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:06 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:IME lavalieres are ok for broadcast/recording but not so much for sound reinforcement as they are too far from the sound source (i.e. your mouth).* A headset positioned in the usual place, at the corner of the mouth, outside the mask will be a much more effective solution.

* Lavalieres are often used in theatre but almost invariably taped to the actors forehead under the hairline or similar. It's a compromise for appearance and theatre SR systems are pretty sophisticated to cope with the issues using them in that way inevitably causes.

Thanks. I should tell this to our higher ups that are thinking of buying a lot of lavalier mics, but maybe I won't so I'll look smart with my headset ;)
notuno
Poster