You are here

Microphone and speaker for lectures

Page 1 of 1

Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:37 pm
by notuno
Hi everybody, I need amplification for lecturing in a large room with about 40 people, while wearing a mask and moving around. I would like a solution that does not involve a computer, and with equipment that I can carry with me each time and connect easily. Budget is 100 euros.

Are there lapel mics that can be connected directly to a bluetooth speaker? Or maybe to a phone, and from this to a bluetooth speaker? What other possibilities are there? I searched a bit but some pointers would be welcome. Thanks.

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:03 pm
by MarkPAman

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:44 pm
by Mike Stranks
Depends if you want a headset...

I bought a QTX PAL8 in the summer - surprisingly effective for voice and good value for money.

I'm using mine with the supplied handheld radio mic and an additional clip-on radio mic on a different frequency. But that would put your costs up...

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:20 am
by notuno
Mike Stranks wrote:Depends if you want a headset...

I bought a QTX PAL8 in the summer - surprisingly effective for voice and good value for money.

I'm using mine with the supplied handheld radio mic and an additional clip-on radio mic on a different frequency. But that would put your costs up...

That's a bit more bulky ad costly than I need. I do need a hands free mic, and I think I'd prefer a lapel mic over a headset. Wearing a headset AND a surgical mask may be a bit too much for me.

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:21 am
by notuno

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 am
by MarkPAman
Normal use here seems to be to place the speaker on a table between the teacher & the class, and I'm not aware of feedback issues. But as I said, I'm not a user, and have probably only seen/heard one in use about twice, and then not for long.*

If you are worried about feedback, then a headset mic would be a much better choice. In fact in terms of sound quality, it will be anyway.

* I've now emailed a member of staff who does use it occasionally, so if/when she gets back to me, I'll pass on anything useful.

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:52 am
by Sam Spoons
IME lavalieres are ok for broadcast/recording but not so much for sound reinforcement as they are too far from the sound source (i.e. your mouth).* A headset positioned in the usual place, at the corner of the mouth, outside the mask will be a much more effective solution.

* Lavalieres are often used in theatre but almost invariably taped to the actors forehead under the hairline or similar. It's a compromise for appearance and theatre SR systems are pretty sophisticated to cope with the issues using them in that way inevitably causes.

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:02 pm
by notuno
MarkPAman wrote:Normal use here seems to be to place the speaker on a table between the teacher & the class, and I'm not aware of feedback issues. But as I said, I'm not a user, and have probably only seen/heard one in use about twice, and then not for long.*

If you are worried about feedback, then a headset mic would be a much better choice. In fact in terms of sound quality, it will be anyway.

* I've now emailed a member of staff who does use it occasionally, so if/when she gets back to me, I'll pass on anything useful.

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a model very similar to the one you suggested, apart from the fact that it comes with both a wireless headset and a wired one. Indeed I was wrong about lavalier mics.

Re: Microphone and speaker for lectures

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:06 pm
by notuno
Sam Spoons wrote:IME lavalieres are ok for broadcast/recording but not so much for sound reinforcement as they are too far from the sound source (i.e. your mouth).* A headset positioned in the usual place, at the corner of the mouth, outside the mask will be a much more effective solution.

* Lavalieres are often used in theatre but almost invariably taped to the actors forehead under the hairline or similar. It's a compromise for appearance and theatre SR systems are pretty sophisticated to cope with the issues using them in that way inevitably causes.

Thanks. I should tell this to our higher ups that are thinking of buying a lot of lavalier mics, but maybe I won't so I'll look smart with my headset ;)