You are here

Digital mixer

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Digital mixer

Postby Antreas Nick Nikolaidis » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:44 am

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in buying a digital mixer. After making some research I have found myself to be between the presonus StudioLive SC and Allen and heath qu 16. The reason I want a digital mixer is to use it mostly in the studio as an audio interface which can cover a full band recording (about 16 channels would be ideal) and daw controller but also to take some load of from the computer itself as a digital mixer will do most of the heavy lifting. I also intend to use the desk for live sound and live performance recording.

Out of the two aforementioned mixers which would you say would be the best fit?

Thank you in advance for any replies!
Antreas Nick Nikolaidis

Re: Digital mixer

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:40 am

StudioLive 32SC ~ £1750
QU16 ~ £1450

Both are good desks, and will do the job. If it was me I would opt for secret option number 3 which would be the Allen & Heath SQ5 ~ £2200. The extra money gets you a far superior modern desk.

I'd probably get the StudioLive as the second choice, then the QU. The QU is a little more of an older desk these days, but still capable.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby resistorman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:51 am

Agree on the SQ5. But if your budget won't stretch that far, consider something in the X32 line, new or used. From my experience the Presonus and older A&H digital equipment isn't quite up to the standards of the SQ5 and the Berrys.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby matt@honblue.com » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:24 am

I run a Presonus SLIII 32r for mostly live gigs (pre-COVID of course) and now live tracking at a studio space. It's very integrated with StudioOne DAW and a Faderport 16 and these all work great for what we are doing at probably a "semi-pro" level. I have a feeling if we get more serious it'll lead into better studio monitors, better mics (rather than my standard gig Shure 57&58s), then move to higher quality pre-amps, and.... down the rabbit hole we go!
It's only money.
matt@honblue.com

Postby musicista vecchio » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:58 am

Our combination booker / soundman keeps a very simple system.

Super low volume on small combo amps which are used primarily for their XLR outputs to the mixer. We don't need a rock band's overdrive, distortion, and effects, of course

No stage monitors on the bandstand or buds in the ears. We hear the house mix just fine.

Mixer controlled from anywhere in the venue with wi fi and a tablet.

All you really see are the players and instruments, a few mic stands, a couple of rack crates off out of the way if you're looking for them, and the huge JBLs.

That's it. Very neat, actually. Power trios have much more clutter around than our fairly large ensemble.
musicista vecchio
Poster

Simple system

Postby Mike Monte » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:06 pm

musicista vecchio wrote:Our combination booker / soundman keeps a very simple system.

No stage monitors on the bandstand or buds in the ears. We hear the house mix just fine.

Mixer controlled from anywhere in the venue with wi fi and a tablet.

All you really see are the players and instruments, a few mic stands, a couple of rack crates off out of the way if you're looking for them, and the huge JBLs.

That's it. Very neat, actually. Power trios have much more clutter around than our fairly large ensemble.

When I was booking my band in the 80's to mid 90's we used no monitors for the most part.
Mostly we-used-our-ears to keep things in check.
In the mid 90's we added stand-mounted powered personal monitors; one for the singer and I (up front) and one for the drummer.
Nothing too loud....
.....very little stage clutter, easy set up / break down.

For a PA we used a powered mixer & two speakers on stands. It was more than enough for the weddings/clubs we played.

I mixed from stage. I had a wireless mic for my sax and would walk-the-room as I was playing (people loved it) during the gig to check the balance.

We kept our gear small (so we could bring it in our cars) as we wanted to keep our profit margin high by not having a trailer/van.

We sounded good and made good $.
Mike Monte
Regular