You are here

What is a good Multiverb for Hall type effects?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

What is a good Multiverb for Hall type effects?

Postby mikehende » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Hey guys, I play music via my DJ Software and would like to add some background effects like Halls, Chambers, Church e.t.c with an "Analog" tone. Can anyone tell me which might be a really good one with good sound quality for this please?

I am looking at Art Multiverb III, Alesis Midiverb 4 and TC Electronics M-One and M300 but if there should be any other better ones please let me know? Thx.
mikehende
Regular

Re: What is a good Multiverb for Hall type effects?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Analogue tone? that’s better using much older devices, like spring reverbs, but they won’t give you halls or churches, as the reverb times aren’t that long, but you can get some pretty neat effects using springs.
The world of modular synths is the place to look, they’re big on spring reverbs, you could put together an effects rack, that wouldn’t cost more than about £2/300 quid, things like the Doepfer A199 spring reverb is about £95, you could use two for stereo, and mix them, you need to explore this.
If you want longer reverbs your better off getting something like an Alesis Qaudraverb, that will give you access to lots of adjustments, and it can sound a bit crunchy if need be.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:52 pm

mikehende wrote:Halls, Chambers, Church e.t.c with an "Analog" tone.

I think digital is much better than analog when it comes to emulating real acoustic spaces. With an 'analog' reverb you're limited to pretty much plates or springs, both of which can have their own beautiful character, but isn't particularly 'acoustic' sounding compared to a real space or a digital emulation.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:55 pm

I suspect the OP is looking for reverb as an effect rather than for realism as he is planning applying it to existing tracks in a DJ rig.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Ramirez » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I suspect the OP is looking for reverb as an effect rather than for realism as he is planning applying it to existing tracks in a DJ rig.

True enough, but those effects he mentions have never really been analog effects, have they?
"Halls chambers and churches" are usually either actual halls, chambers and churches, or a digital reverb.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:33 pm

True :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:20 pm

I have an old Pioneer SR303 Spring reverb but that doesn't give me a Hall type sound. So I would be needing a Digital Processor, if yes the Alesis Quadraverb should be my best bet?
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:43 pm

I found a good video here on the unit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SjioiELDl8

It has great reviews but my concern is it doesn't seem to have a wide variety of the Hall or Room type effects?
mikehende
Regular

Postby Ramirez » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:03 pm

mikehende wrote:I found a good video here on the unit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SjioiELDl8

It has great reviews but my concern is it doesn't seem to have a wide variety of the Hall or Room type effects?

What’s your budget? We have an AMS RMX16 at the studio and it’s a wondrous thing. There is a recent 500-series hardware re-issue of that, as well as a plugin for the UAD platform. Neither are cheap though.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby mikehende » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:09 pm

Since I am not sure which unit might give me what I need I didn't want to spend over 100 on any unit. I figure I can try one of the old verbs which has the most variety of Rooms.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:23 pm

mikehende wrote:... but my concern is it doesn't seem to have a wide variety of the Hall or Room type effects?

Digital reverbs generally don't. They typically only have two (or three at most) fundamentally different algorithms for each of the room / chamber / hall effects. The manufacture and/or you tailor those core algorithms to create a variety of different sounding versions by tweaking the provided parameters and save and store the results as unique sounding room reverb settings.

Some of the later multi-effects reverbs have a lot of creatively named factory presets, but they are still generally all derived from a small number of core algorithms.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:45 pm

Just had a quick search and noticed there are some Sony units just above your price range. I had an Ibanez SDR1000 which was a Sony MRU201 in disguise and, to me, it sounded much better than any of the budget reverbs around at the time like the Quadraverb or SPX90. However the Quadraverb was more versatile (I have one of those somewhere too). The newer Sony units are supposed to be even better and I see there are a few on Ebay at just above $100.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:37 pm

More useful terminology might be “musical” and “performance oriented” in place of “analog”. Instead of looking back, more interesting things are being developed in the pedal, 500 rack, and Eurorack hardware spaces. in software, If you have an iPad and a good interface you can get major efx from companies like Eventide for 1/10th the cost of PC or Mac plugins in a touch based interface. My favorite performance reverb is the Zverb eurorack module from TipTop Audio. Look forward, not back.

http://tiptopaudio.com/zverb-echoz-z5000/
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser931182 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:13 am

TC Electronic M100 Stereo Multi-Effects Processor is a cheap current unit.
forumuser931182
New here

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:10 am

I’m getting one of these, those time buttons are just what I need, mine will be permanently stuck on 70”s.
I hope the flux capacitor has been upgraded?

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next