You are here

Sennheiser Wireless Receiver Issue

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Sennheiser Wireless Receiver Issue

Postby BenH2020 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:23 pm

I have recently purchased (second-hand) two EW300 G1 receivers and two EW100 G2 beltpacks and headset microphones.

I have an issue with one of the receivers. As soon as I tune in any of the two belptacks or another G1 wireless microphone I have, one of the receivers picks up the signal (the RF bar is full), but the AF bar goes to maximum and stays on maximum peak. This happens with both beltpacks and the wireless microphone, so I think it's a receiver issue or setting and not the beltpacks or mic. The beltpacks and microphone all work fine with the other two receivers I have.

The receiver is on channel 70 (UK), and I have tried all four frequencies: 803.100MHz, 803.500MHz, 804.300MHz and 804.900MHz.

I was wondering if you had any ideas what this could be please?

Thanks.
BenH2020
New here

Re: Sennheiser Wireless Receiver Issue

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:14 pm

First of all, the frequencies you've listed aren't in Channel 70; in fact they're not legal radio microphone frequencies at all!

I'm hoping you've misread the information and the '0s' you reported are in fact '6s'. That would make all of the frequencies you've listed within Channel 70.

With the suspect receiver what audio output are you getting when you switch on a transmitter. Is it horrendous noise or silence?

Does it happen when there is no audio cable connected to the suspect receiver?

When you test this are all other receivers and non-test transmitters switched -off? That is the test takes place with one receiver and one transmitter active and everything else switched off.

Are you sure that the receiver and the transmitter are definitely both on exactly the same frequency?

(Unlikely, but...) have you tried adjusting the Squelch control on the receiver?

... and I'm assuming the receivers are rack/table mains-powered receivers and not portable clip-on battery powered ones...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby BenH2020 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:13 pm

Very sorry! I stated the wrong frequencies. I did this on my phone and didn't proof read it - my bad. I will update the original post. I got them sort of half right...

The four frequencies are 863.100, 863.500, 864.300 and 864.900 (all channel 70).

I have had a listen on my headphones and the audio is coming through as it should, the AF output is just showing as being maxed out, but the signal coming out isn't any hotter than the other receiver, so the output is right, it's just showing the output wrong for some reason.
BenH2020
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:48 pm

The G1 and G2 systems are mostly compatible but IIRC the G2 uses a 'pilot tone' to convey battery status and other data to the G2 receiver. I have a G1 handheld transmitter and G3 receiver and, also IIRC, I had to turn the 'pilot tone' reception off on the receiver before they would work together. It would be worth investigating on your G2 transmitters in case that is causing the problem.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:12 am

Sam Spoons wrote:The G1 and G2 systems are mostly compatible but IIRC the G2 uses a 'pilot tone' to convey battery status and other data to the G2 receiver. I have a G1 handheld transmitter and G3 receiver and, also IIRC, I had to turn the 'pilot tone' reception off on the receiver before they would work together. It would be worth investigating on your G2 transmitters in case that is causing the problem.

Good point young sir! :clap: :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby BenH2020 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Update:

I spoke to Sennheiser and this was a known issue on the G1 receivers, which unfortunately are no longer supported. It picks up two versions of the incoming signal and one always stays on peak.

The receiver does output as it should, it just shows the wrong AF levels.
BenH2020
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks for the update! I wasn't aware of that as an issue with G1s.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound