You are here

X32 Edit - Is it possible to get desk tft display to follow app selection

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

X32 Edit - Is it possible to get desk tft display to follow app selection

Postby dbfs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:46 pm

Hi,

I have a X32 connected to a computer and when I select a channel in the X32 edit application and adjust a fader, the corresponding fader moves on the physical desk.

However the currently selected channel on the desk dos not update and therefore the onboard screen does not show the parameters for EQ etc when they are adjusted in the app.

this means that I can adjust a fader in the app and I get realtime visual feedback on the desk in the form of a mechanical fader movement, but not any feedback on the TFT based display. That seems odd to me. Is it really built this way or am I just not doing it right.

Any help advised appreciated before I send it back.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Re: X32 Edit - Is it possible to get desk tft display to follow app selection

Postby dbfs » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Any ideas folks.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:25 pm

dbfs wrote:this means that I can adjust a fader in the app and I get realtime visual feedback on the desk in the form of a mechanical fader movement, but not any feedback on the TFT based display. That seems odd to me.

I'm afraid I don't know if it's possible to make the console screen follow remote control selections... but I doubt it.

It doesn't seem odd to me that it works the way it does...

If you are remote controlling the desk you would obviously want to see what you are tweaking in your own remote control screen... but the X32-Edit system is not an exclusive control system -- there could be an operator controlling the physical desk, and other remote operators too, all at the same time.

And in that case, the physical desk operator would be rather miffed if they were trying to adjust something using the hardware screen but the display kept changing because someone elsewhere was adjusting something remotely!

As a classic example, think of the situation where you have an FOH operator mixing the show on the hardware console, while band members are tweaking their in-ear foldback mixes using the remote access from their phones or iPads...

In that kind of situation you might not be too chuffed to have the console screen suddenly switching to show Aux send levels or Aux output EQ settings when you're trying to EQ a channel to kill a howl-round or dial in the right FX engine setting for the next entry!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dbfs » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi Hugh,

That makes sense.

I am trying to put together a setup so that I can get online students to mix a track on the desk. I have cameras on the physical desk as they control the desk remotely via the X32 edit app and I thought it would be nice for them to able to see the desk updating on the camera. It is not really necessary as they will see the fader moving on the desk and of course they will see everything that they need on the app.

But, it would have been nice and I would also liked to have made a video of the live desk session as evidence.

Who knows maybe someone in Behringer could make it possible via a future firmware update. A remote toggle function for the screen.

Thanks for the help.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:54 pm

dbfs wrote:But, it would have been nice and I would also liked to have made a video of the live desk session as evidence.

Would a video grab of the remote app on their own computers suffice for session evidence?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby dbfs » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:14 am

Hi Hugh, yes that's a good idea. Many thanks. Really enjoying the desk. We had been using allen and heath analog desks with a fair amount of outboard, but the x32 seems really nice and has the obvious benefits on remote control which is a godsend at the moment.

Between the x32 and adopting Reaper as the primary daw with a selection free synth plugins and loops, we never had it so good here in terms of accessibility for all learners.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:56 am

dbfs wrote:Who knows maybe someone in Behringer could make it possible via a future firmware update. A remote toggle function for the screen.

I asked a mate from the Behringer X32 forum for his comments and he had this to say :-

If he is wanting the screens to change when the apps change screens, that won't work and is not practical. If you have 10 instances of X32-Edit plus tablet apps, which one changes the screen? For example, if one app changed to channel 3 EQ and another app changed to channel 5 sends, which screen does the console follow?

Back when the official app was called XControl (firmware 1.x), there was a function that made the app follow the console screen. Evidently there were issues with that and when they updated the app and called it X32-Edit, that functionality was dropped.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby dbfs » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks for the info Sam.

I suppose you could have an engineer button on the app that lets the engineer go around with his tablet or computer and then the desk could update its display only when accessed from the designated engineer device.

Other performers on stage could still alter their mixes, bus since they would not have the engineer button/credentials option, their edits would not be allowed to update the display on the desk.

I dot think it is realistic of me to expect that they would add this though as it would involve development and testing work for a very specific and limited use case that would not generate a return on investment. I think Hughs solutions is perfectly acceptable to me, so thanks guys for the help.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:47 pm

:thumbup: The X32 is a great desk but, like everything, it has limitations.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:12 pm

dbfs wrote: Really enjoying the desk. We had been using allen and heath analog desks with a fair amount of outboard, but the x32 seems really nice and has the obvious benefits on remote control which is a godsend at the moment.
To be fair, coming from analog, you'd find most contemporary digital desks give you all of that - the X32 line does it ultimately cheaply and with lots of connectivity options. It's all quite mindblowing for a while, though.

Back to your original question. No, you can't - though you can get X32-Mix to follow the board's select ( Setup -> GUI Prefs -> Mixer UI link) This is the opposite way round from what you were asking for, though.

I'll only echo what Hugh says, having the desk's select follow the remote select is more likely to cause problems and head scratching. Worse still, with multiple simultaneously connected devices (which many of us do) which device would "own" the select? I don't ever see Behringer introducing this, and I'm sure it would be the cause of many complaints if they did!

I also agree with Hugh that a video capture of X32-Edit would be the way to go. Much clearer than a video camera pointed at the surface, and it shows a lot more info - especially in the Mixer view. I think you're too fresh from the analog world, thinking it's all about the surface - in our brave new world of digital, everything is software, with multiple visualisations available.

As an example, when gigging with an X32, I'll typically have a laptop with X32-Edit, a 10" tablet with Mixing Station, and my phone with mixing station, as well as using the surface. Most mixing will be done from the surface. I'll turn to the PC for channel labelling or to see an overview of the mixer. The tablet is taken if I need to head out for a walk from FOH. The phone is there in my pocket if I'm on-stage and want to tweak something. So - I'll use 4 interfaces for a show. Not to show off, and not because I'm mixing anything demanding, but because they all excel in their own different ways.
AlecSp
Regular