You are here

Cant get transmitter or speakers working

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Cant get transmitter or speakers working

Postby fintang » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi guys,

Please excuse my inexperience but I recently inherited a harman kardon transmitter model hk3490 and two old phase speakers(serial number 03615) but they will not play via auxiliary cord, i managed to fiddle around with the settings and got the radio working but now it's not working again.

I am wondering how can I get these speakers to work with a macbook pro?? I think the problem is with the transmitter. What do I need to buy to get these playing sound from my laptop?

I have a PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 Audio Interface but not sure if that will help?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David
fintang

Re: Cant get transmitter or speakers working

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:03 pm

As far as I can tell the HK3490 is a receiver rather than a transmitter - which means that it is a radio tuner and amplifier in one box. A quick search shows that it is a fairly complex beast so the manual is probably essential. It can be found at

https://www.harmanaudio.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dwe87f4408/pdfs/Owner's%20Manual%20-%20HK%203390,%20HK%203490%20(English).pdf
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Cant get transmitter or speakers working

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:46 am

Welcome David! :thumbup:

I'd suggest you do use your audio interface and connect its outputs to the 'Audio - Main In' inputs at the base of the rear of the amplifier. That way you're bypassing all of the preamp stages and just using the power amp section.

Check that you're using a good lead between the audio interface and the amp and that the speakers are wired correctly - and start with the volume control turned to minimum!

... and as James says, this is a receiver/amp not a transmitter.

Good luck! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster