You are here

Stereo aux on Behringer XR18

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Stereo aux on Behringer XR18

Postby sandvik » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 pm

Me and my band are thinking about getting a Behringer XR 18 for a closed IEM rig.

The problem is that we are five in the band and we want stereo mixes. The mixer has six aux out. We know that we can link two and two aux outputs, and that leaves us at three stereo aux.

If we can use the main outs and the headphones out as a bus that would solve our problem, but we can’t find any information about it anywhere. Does anyone know if this will work? Has anyone tried this on the XR18?

Thanks
sandvik

Re: Stereo aux on Behringer XR18

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:30 pm

Welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

I don't think you can do what you're asking. To have more monitor mixes from the auxes I'm afraid you'd have to content yourselves with mono.

But there's arguably a better way...

The XR18 has an Ultranet connector, which exists solely for monitor mixes. What you would need to do is invest in some P16Ms. Everyone can have control of their own custom mix (including pan) of 16 separate channels. The P16M has both line and headphone outputs.

If you want to make things even easier, adding a P16D 'splitter' avoids having to daisy-chain the monitor mixers and also carries power to each mixer, so no additional power supplies are needed.

And this is the system I use. It works superbly. Some of us use in-ears and others use stage monitors, but that's completely down to each individual, which makes my life easier too!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby zenguitar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Sometimes you have to consider that just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do it.

And in this case stereo is a red herring. Stereo works very well for listening at home but it is a poor approach for a live PA. Imagine your live audience. A small percentage will be central and get a potential benefit from working in stereo but, from first principles, the vast majority of your audience will be increasingly further to the left and right of the stereo sweet spot.

And that is why most PA's are run in twin mono, with largely the same mix delivered to left and right speakers. Or else your amazing guitar solo panned hard right will be unheard by the audience to the left of the stage, they will see your gurning guitar solo face and assume you are in some kind of pain. At most, the odd stereo spot effect will be all that's used.

So, if the sensible way to run your live sound is in dual mono, running your IEMs in stereo is a vanity. Mono is more than good enough.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby AlecSp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:48 pm

zenguitar wrote:So, if the sensible way to run your live sound is in dual mono, running your IEMs in stereo is a vanity. Mono is more than good enough.
Devils advocate:
Indeed, mono is the right choice for FOH for most PAs.

Well mixed stereo in-ears give much better experience to the performers, which enables them to perform more comfortably. Don't forget monitoring in a live world is about supporting the performer as well as is possibly, rather than just replicating FOH.

That said, if you want to mix with just your XR18, you're stuck with 3 stereo mixes unless you buy a whole load more personal mixers as mentioned by Elf. UP to you if you want the extra cost/complexity - but the solution can certainly deliver.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby ben howes » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:30 pm

There are some sneaky ways to give more monitoring mixes using the effects buses. But you still cannot truly achieve what you want with the x18, you will need the 18 plus at least one P16. Or the x32 rack should do it, but you might need an additional stage box even then.

Unless you have a dedicated monitor engineer for your band, I would recommend the simplicity of mono iem. The xr18 has been excellent for us. Remember to budget for an external router. The behringer P1 is a good value box to use for iem.
ben howes
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:45 pm

That's a fair comment AlecSP; the more comfortable a performer is, the better performance they can deliver. But being comfortable could also be achieved through making good use of rehearsals to get comfortable with mono IEMs and tailoring each performer's mix to meet their needs better.

I would argue that players need to have a clear idea that the audience is hearing the music as intended. By monitoring in stereo they risk missing how their part might be masking other parts that might be more important, or not realising that their more important part is being masked.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 am

If this desk is for monitors only, and monitor mixes are run pre-fade, the there's no reason L&R can't also be used as another mix. But you'd still be one short I think.

A&H Qu series all have 4 mono & 3 stereo monitor mixes as standard, and all but the Qu-16 have group busses which can be changed into additional monitor stereo mixes. When they're changed to monitor mixes, they show up on the Qu-You monitor app for phones.

Now, while the smaller Pac & SB of versions only have the built in output sockets for the 4 mono & 3 stereo, an additional stage box would be appear to be needed if you want the "proper" stereo mixes.

But each has another assignable stereo out (Alt Out on the Pac & Matrix Out on the Pac - both a pair of TRS). Then there's the headphone out if it's not required for anything else, and the L&R mix trick is available too so either of these could do the job in several ways without additional hardware.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster