You are here

Routing click and track with the use of only 2 outputs?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Routing click and track with the use of only 2 outputs?

Postby samuelf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:17 pm

Hello SOS

I have a question regarding setup of track + click.

I am a drummer in a pop band. My equipment is: MBP '18 + Ableton, NI Komplete Audio 6, Behringer Xenyx 502, KZ in-ears.

So far I have used the 4 outputs in my Komplete Audio to route the track from Ableton to output 1/2 and the click to output 3/4. I have then sent the track to FOH, who's given me back a stereo signal to put in input 2/3 on the Behringer.
I have then sent the click from my Komplete Audio to input 4/5 on the Behringer. Thus I can control how much track/band I want AND click.

My problem? My Komplete Audio 6 broke the other day. And I was thinking, since I already have another soundcard ready, but only with 2 outputs, is there a way I can get my click routed to the Behringer through Ableton somehow, with only the use of this 2 output soundcard? I've heard rumours about aggregate devices, so that I can setup the click through the headphone-out of my MBP. Can anybody recommend this? It would be really nice not to buy a whole new soundcard, just to get 2 extra outputs. Or is there maybe some cheaper soundcard out there, that might not have any inputs, but just 4 x outputs?

Thank you in advance,
Sincerely,
Sam
samuelf

Re: Routing click and track with the use of only 2 outputs?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm not a Mac user so I'm afraid I don't know if Macs will let you route DAW outputs to both an interface and the internal headphone output simultaneously. I'm sure others here can help with that one.

However, as a workaround, you could send a mono mix of your track to one output and a mono click to the other of your dual-output interface. Most PA's run mostly in mono anyway... at least until you resolve your interface dilemma.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Routing click and track with the use of only 2 outputs?

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm not a Mac user so I'm afraid I don't know if Macs will let you route DAW outputs to both an interface and the internal headphone output simultaneously. I'm sure others here can help with that one.

Yes - MacOS lets you define what's called an "Aggregate Device" - essentially a virtual audio interface consisting of multiple physical audio interfaces, and their I/O is combined.

So you'd create an aggregate device consisting of the internal audio and your other external interface, then choose that aggregate device as your audio device in your DAW - you can now route anything from any input or output of either physical device as normal.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio