You are here

2 tops and 2 subs how to run tops in stereo and subs in mono

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

2 tops and 2 subs how to run tops in stereo and subs in mono

Postby dennisgamalej » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:07 am

Hey guys i have a question.
I have 2x proel flash 12 active speakers and 2x proel flash 15 active subwoofers. My mixer is soundcraft ui16. Holy analogue mixers where you had the center output for subs. But nowadays you dont have this option :( Is there a way to connect this speakers so i have my tops in stereo and subs in mono? A way of connecting them between eachother? or maybe i have to buy a crossover? Thnx in advanced
dennisgamalej
Regular

Re: 2 tops and 2 subs how to run tops in stereo and subs in mono

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:17 am

Do you have the option to use one of the aux outputs as a mono feed or are you already using all 4 for other duties?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby dennisgamalej » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:27 am

Im using all the 4 auxes :(
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:30 am

I can tell you how I do it with my RCF system, but I'm having difficulty identifying exactly which speakers you have - seem to be several similar Proel Flash. Do they have both L&R inputs? Where is the crossover? Can you post a link?

I run L&R from the desk to the L&R input of one sub, and then use the link outs to run L&R to the other sub. Then take the Hi Pass out from the L on one, and the R on the other to the tops.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:23 pm

There should be no need unless you are panning sources with sub bass wide left or right.

But, as MarkPAman says, you could send both L&R to a single sub and link that to the second sub as each sub will sum it's L&R inputs to mono.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby dennisgamalej » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Does stereo and mono really matters in live world? Or mono is also okey? Thnx!
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:32 pm

I'm sure there must be some people who run live sound in stereo, but I never do. It just means that the only people who'll hear the 'proper' sound are those in the centre of the hall. Mono is much more practical.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:09 pm

dennisgamalej wrote:Does stereo and mono really matters in live world? Or mono is also okey? Thnx!

Like Drew, I almost never run a PA in stereo, and if I do it would, at most, be for a couple of fx at the request of the keys player or guitarist.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 am

It depends on what you mean by stereo really.

I used to work for a company that had amp racks configured with one processor (crossover) running 2 highs on one side of an amp & 2 mids from the other, with another amp running subs. So any smaller event with these was forced to be mono - though larger gigs could have an amp rack each side. Not all bands, or their engineers were impressed though, and we found we needed to have a larger stereo amp rack or two in the hire stock too in order not to miss out on work.

Now days, my own system is all powered cabs, so I have full choice of how to run things. I'll normally set up as a traditional stereo system, but if I don't touch the pans, it will run as "dual mono".

Deciding whether I want to use the pans or not is usually a combination of venue shape, and what's coming from the stage (and any requests from the artist of course). A narrow venue with the audience almost entirely between the speakers may make a little panning attractive. A loud guitar amp on the left of the stage may cause me to pan guitar right a bit to even things up if most of the audience are hearing that. Anything pre recorded is usually supplied as stereo of course, so I'll often reduce the width of that, though not make it completely mono.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster