You are here

Live Streaming problem: sound in left ear only

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Live Streaming problem: sound in left ear only

Postby CyrilWohrer » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi there,
I did my first Facebook Live today, using my Sony ZV-1 camera and my Shure Sm7, both of which I plugged into my MacBook Pro directly. Aside from the synching issue, I encountered a *big* problem, namely that the sound was recorded only in the left ear. How can I fix this problem? How can those watching my Live hear me in both ears, not just the left?

Thanks,

Cyril
CyrilWohrer

Re: Live Streaming problem: sound in left ear only

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi Cyril, and welcome. :thumbup:

We are going to need a lot more information to begin trying to help.

For a start, how is all your equipment connected?

Are you aware that one mic can only give a mono signal? The SM7 is a standarrd mic with an XLR output, so you must be going via a mic pre-amp of some description and then to USB - how? How are you handling the mic to pan it to the stereo centre?

What software are you using to handle the audio mix?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:41 pm

I've been exploring OBS recently and find the separate channels of my interface are hard panned L/R.

I've considered using a small mixer to take care of the stereo field but have to explore further to see what options might be available within the software.

There is a mono/stereo in audio prefs apparently but that's a bit drastic for my use.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Welcome from me too! :thumbup:

I know nothing about Apple anythings, but I'll take a stab at what might have happened...

Did you perchance connect your SM7B to the computer using a lead like this:

or this:

If the leads aren't wired correctly - and I find that XLR to anything often aren't - then that would account for the left-hand channel only sound.

If you are connecting like this then you need to make, or get someone to make, a lead with pin connections as follows (using a 3-pin XLR female socket and a 3.5mm 'stereo'/TRS mini jack plug):

XLR pin 1 to the sleeve of the jack-plug;
XLR pin 2 to the tip AND ring of the jack-plug;
XLR pin 3 to the sleeve of the jack plug.

Of course, if you're not connecting your mic in this way then I refer you to The Elf's earlier post! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 am

Looks like Cyril hasn't checked back but just in case anyone else has the same issue this is my mini exploration of Voicemeeter copied from elsewhere on the forum which I suspect would have informed his quest:

Well, I've had a play with Voicemeeter tonight and, unless I've missed something fundamental, it seems pretty straightforward. Everything's labelled logically and does what it's told.

After installing the laptop needed a restart which always gives me the shivers but no issue. I sparked up again with the SSL2+ hooked up and as it is the default driver when available VM grabbed it for audio and the hardware inputs were already assigned when I started VM.

The VM driver showed up as an audio device in Reaper which in turn appeared as the virtual input in VM.

Bus A goes back to the SSL for headphone or main monitors and bus B goes wherever I send it within the laptop, in this case to Zoom.

The only thing I found strange was that the separate mic channels didn't seem to be default panned hard left and right as they were in OBS but "mostly left" and "mostly right". I hit the "mono" button on both of them anyway so it was irrelevant. The panel above the mic channel fader had me scratching my head for a few minutes because it's not a pan control as it appeared to me but a kind of XY joypad for tone settings, very neat but bypassed.

There's a pretty nifty looking set of audio tools that came along with the installation for further tweakage. I fired up the standalone 15 band EQ which can be assigned to either bus at the nudge of a button. Sounded perfectly adequate.

No real dramas with Reaper, VM and Zoom all running together. I tried incorporating OBS as well for a chuckle and everything seemed to cooperate until my little old laptop ran out of steam.

It's a 9 from me. I'm only withholding the last 1 in case time reveals an issue and because I'm a grumpy old sod.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.