You are here

Seeking advice for a project with friends

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Seeking advice for a project with friends

Postby olavs » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi!

Me and my friends are busy with upgrading our old hang-out spot and decided to buy some 'serious' party lights. Allthough there is way more then enough information about setup and advice, it's kind of hard to find the specific answers I'm looking for. I hope anyone is able to help out.

So, we bought 4 BeamZ LCB144 fixture's to mount to our roof. Mounting worked out great, happy with the placement. As for now, they are just plugged in to the outlet, without any control, and are all out of sync doing their basic microphone-to-light programs. We are debating whether we need a full DMX universe, with controller and cable's running all over the place.
What would be the best way to make the 4 fixture's move:
A) Synced up with eachother, the most important thing
B) Have some control over what microphone-to-light program they are following, since we don't want to climb up the ladder all the time to change those

Budget isn't that big of a deal, since we wouldn't be speaking of much equipment in this case, to my knowledge tho. I hope someone finds the time to think with us get started in the world of lights.

Thanks in advance,
Olav
olavs

Re: Seeking advice for a project with friends

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:33 pm

I can't find any sort of meaningful spec or manual for these from a (quick) search. However, it's probably much the same unit as many others that look the same.

Most lights of this sort will have a master & slave mode. If this one does, then choose one to be master, and use 3 XLR cables* to chain from its output to the others. You'll still have no direct control, but it's own inbuilt sound-to-light function will now keep them all working together, which will be an improvement. It may also have "demo" programs built in that look good. If it came with any sort of remote, this can also now control them all together.

Full DMX control really needs a pretty good (= expensive) controller if you're going to do better than the built in programs do.

* This should really be a proper DMX cable, and the end of the line should have a terminator in it, but I wouldn't worry about that for this simple setup.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:37 pm

There are alternatives.

I’m not a lighting engineer, but I’ve seen a few of these systems that run from a computer, and even from an iPad.

There are free DMX apps available, and then you need something to get the DMX signal off the computer or iPad.

Something like this:
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... 8MQAvD_BwE

Although obviously others are available.

Might be worth investigating.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Can you connect them to each other? A very successful producer friend here loves his lights (specifically in pink shades) and has some bars that can be connected to each other to sync.

I am more envious of his Barefoot monitors, but I've done the tour several times and he showed me how the lights work.. he does also Twitch streaming (!) and he claims the lights are an essential component :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:18 pm

MarkPAman wrote:I can't find any sort of meaningful spec or manual for these from a (quick) search. However, it's probably much the same unit as many others that look the same.

Most lights of this sort will have a master & slave mode. If this one does, then choose one to be master, and use 3 XLR cables* to chain from its output to the others. You'll still have no direct control, but it's own inbuilt sound-to-light function will now keep them all working together, which will be an improvement. It may also have "demo" programs built in that look good. If it came with any sort of remote, this can also now control them all together.

Full DMX control really needs a pretty good (= expensive) controller if you're going to do better than the built in programs do.

* This should really be a proper DMX cable, and the end of the line should have a terminator in it, but I wouldn't worry about that for this simple setup.

Yup! I agree!

Your lights DO have a Master/Slave mode so follow this advice ^^^ for a simple way to get them all to do the same thing.

I have some wireless DMX units - not that expensive - which I use when I don't want to trail cables over long distances or the cables would cross access points, fire exits etc. The wireless DMX works well. The transmitter and receiver can go anywhere in the DMX 'chain' - regard them as replacing a specific cable interconnect.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:50 pm

I bought DMX lights from here, very reasonably priced but not as crazy as this one, I get the impression it will be what you want.
They all have fans in, which I would prefer not to have but with moderately loud music playing you won’t hear them.
Scroll down to see other moving and static lights they sell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spider-Movin ... %3A2334524
MOF
Frequent Poster