You are here

A van for your PA system

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: A van for your PA system

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:...automotive Tetris,...

Love that game.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:16 am

I used to play automotive Teris at every gig... the strange thing was that however hard I concentrated when taking everything out at the gig it always seemed to go back in a different order!

Hail the mighty Citroen C3 Picasso!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby robare99 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:58 pm

I don’t know what your parking situation is, but myself, I’m able to park my loaded gear trailer in my garage. It knocks an easy hour off the beginning and the end of the gig.
robare99
Regular

Postby Luke W » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:09 am

robare99 wrote:I don’t know what your parking situation is, but myself, I’m able to park my loaded gear trailer in my garage. It knocks an easy hour off the beginning and the end of the gig.

If that’s a possibility then its worth serious consideration. I don’t miss unloading a van full of gear while the sun comes back up...
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby railteacher » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:13 am

If you get a van or a trailer, you may want to consider building some custom wheeled racks to help carry the gear into the venue.

A friend of mine welded together several steel multi-shelf carts that he uses to store and transport his speakers & other equipment. Once loaded, cart and all go into his trailer and are lashed down securely. At the venue, he rolls one cart at a time into the facility using ramps for the occasion. Makes setup and takedown a lot easier, especially if you’re a one-person crew.

Chief considerations are that the carts are narrow enough to fit through doorways, and short enough to maneuver or fit into elevators. Wheels MUST be strong enough to handle the overall weight, and large enough for the type of terrain you’ll be using.
railteacher

Previous