You are here

Mastering audio for TV Broadcast for the first time!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Mastering audio for TV Broadcast for the first time!

Postby paddy2424 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Hey New,

I have had issues playing video in pro tools before. However I don’t do it much so can’t remember off the top of my head all the details, but in case you haven’t tried it, there are a number of settings to go through to ensure your session is set to the correct frame rate etc. to match the video. Apologies if I’m suggesting something you’ve already tried, but it sorted things for me so hopefully it helps.

This vid looks like it covers it:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uCbUBvbnNuI

All the best with the work!
paddy2424
Poster

Postby NewtoPT » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:19 am

Hey guys having a huge problem at the worst possible time.

So the video editor on the project sent me an AAF for the full show. All the audio imported except the hosts dialogue.
We addressed the issue, so he exported another AAF of just the hosts dialogue this time (and effects).
The effects loaded, but once again, the hosts dialogue didn't import.

On import I get a "Missing renderings" notification that pops up. I exported the log and this is what it says.

https://imgur.com/a/4jqPEMt

No idea if this is a problem on his end or my end. But I imported all the other audio that shows up in my session
from the AAF, no different than how I imported this. And again with both the original full show AAF and this new AAF of just the hosts dialogue, each import is coming up blank for the hosts dialogue.

Is there some settings in the AAF import properties window I'm not selecting that I should be? Copy From Source Media or Force to target Session Format.. it's making no difference.

I need to figure this out ASAP as I'm officially on a time crunch now.

He's exporting the AAF from Adobe Premiere

Anyone know what it could be?
NewtoPT
Poster

Postby NewtoPT » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:03 am

Also in the clips list it shows 4 more tracks, but those aren't the hosts talking either
it's just like hour long outtakes of one of the guys singing. And that's it.
NewtoPT
Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Did you ever get this sorted?
I haven't dealt with this sort of thing for about 6 years, and I usually it was files coming from an Avid and the audio DAW wasn't protools, so below might be red herrings....

When you got the host speech only AAF file, did the file's size seem correct to include audio?

How does the missing audio show itself on the import? Does protools show segments, but there's no audio, or just leaves the tracks blank? If it's showing mute audio segments, it might be worth checking that the audio is there but the level of the clip has been set to zero or mute.

I don't know how your relationship is with the video editor, but if he/she tried to import the AAF file back into his/her system (ideally not the same machine the project is on) does it work OK?

Maybe try an OMF instead?

If the picture editor has put crossfades in the dialog, ask them to remove the fade and use a cut instead. If you get audio with "handles" you can reinstate them.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Previous