You are here

load pro-tools Multitracks into x32 EDIT PRACTICE

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

load pro-tools Multitracks into x32 EDIT PRACTICE

Postby PapaGanush » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:59 pm

I am trying to load my pro-tools Multitracks session into x32 new EDIT window for practice purpose.
as a fresh graduated sound technician; I have hard time finding a job these days but I have a plan and patience it might take time but eventualy I will start my career as soon as I see an opportunity,
but meanwhile I dont wanna lose my knowledge I make sure every day I practice at least 1hour protools, never miss a day.

I am a Kinesthetic student I learn by doing and making mistakes. I found out about the x32 edit software I downlaoded for free on their website...all x32 controls in one software amazing! I know it is supposed to connect to real x32 mixer with a router and your phone, but I wanna see if I can link my pro tools session ( free multitrack session found online ) to x32 edit window and actually get the feeling of mixing.

is it even possible ? if not what other advice can you give me to keep this knowledge alive!
thank you so much
and happy holidays !!! :bouncy: :D
PapaGanush
Poster

Re: load pro-tools Multitracks into x32 EDIT PRACTICE

Postby PapaGanush » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:01 pm

from

TO

PapaGanush
Poster

Postby Luke W » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:58 pm

As you’ve said, the X32 Edit software is just a remote for the physical desk so it doesn’t route or process any audio itself. Although if you’re just looking to work on some mixing skills then why not just do it within Pro Tools? Not quite the same as mixing something on a live board but all of the same principles still apply.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Yup, what Luke W says, X32 Edit is a remote control app only. Why would you want to use it unless you own (or are planning to own) an X32 of some kind?

I do it the other way around and use an X32 Compact as my audio interface and studio mixer so I can mix using 'real' faders. I don't use it to control my DAW (Reaper) and use the X32 eq, fx and dynamics using very few plug-ins in Reaper.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby PapaGanush » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:13 pm

Yes that is what I thought..I still use pro tools of course but like you said its not the same feeling.
I wanted to do that so when I get to work on a console I wont be overwhelmed!
I want to invest in an xr18 first then an x 32 or smaller in further future. cause the type of gig I do; prefer compact set up and clean stage.

Alright then the only way to practice on console is to own a console
Or the same Mixing basic can be found on protools or any DAW.

I appreciate the quick response! Thank you guys.
If anyone have any random advice on how I can practice live mixing from home please do!

*Please forgive my English
PapaGanush
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:19 pm

You say "the type of gig I do; prefer compact set up and clean stage." do you mean you will be supplying the desk or will you use the supplied desk?

If you are going to buy a desk then is there any reason you can't buy it now (assuming you can afford to do so). Getting very familiar with a 'real' desk now will pay dividends when the gigs return.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:51 am

Sam Spoons wrote:If you are going to buy a desk then is there any reason you can't buy it now (assuming you can afford to do so). Getting very familiar with a 'real' desk now will pay dividends when the gigs return.
One of the joys of today's digital world is that you can become pretty familiar with a desk without even needing to touch it, just by using the software.

This is particularly the case with surface-less desks like the XR18. Playing with the XR-Edit app before I purchased the physical device, all I had to get my head round when I actually got one was the practicalities of its networking.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:01 pm

It is indeed but the OP wants to practice mixing using downloaded multitracks which, AFAIK the X32-Edit and Air-Edit apps can't do.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:18 pm

I would suggest that the best practice you could get in would be around the listening side. So firstly hit your music collection/YouTube and do some serious, analytical listening to live performances.
Secondly, grab your multi tracks and strip it back to what you might get in a live show. Then set up a protools template that's similarly constrained.
Then have a play to see how you can get the most out of the limited options. Also experiment with how you can predict the song sections, when to fade up the instrumentals etc.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...