You are here

How does DBX stackup as a Speaker Processor?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

How does DBX stackup as a Speaker Processor?

Postby mikehende » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:16 pm

Hey guys, how does like the DBX 260 stackup when compared with the other on the market, is the BSS and TOA e.t.c brands that much better?
mikehende
Regular

Re: How does DBX stackup as a Speaker Processor?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:31 pm

General purpose speaker processors* are straightforward devices built to do a basically simple job so I doubt you'd find much difference in practice.

I'm beginning to suspect you like the 'thrill of the chase' as much as listening to the results :D If you really want a good sounding system listen to then I refer you back to the last thread and suggest you go and have a listen to some of the modern powered speakers mentioned.

* Bose 802 controllers and such like excepted.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Well no, I am just curios why the DBX Driverack seems to be the most popular of all Speaker Management Processors, could it simply be the lower pricing or is it because it does not have the higher quality or features of the others?
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:56 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you need for a speaker processor, crossovers and maybe some delay, anything else is just fluff.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Luke W » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:08 pm

mikehende wrote:Well no, I am just curios why the DBX Driverack seems to be the most popular of all Speaker Management Processors, could it simply be the lower pricing or is it because it does not have the higher quality or features of the others?

The price has always made them an attractive option, yes. My live rig was based around a PA+ and it's a good bit of kit, but with powered speakers and digital desks being so prevalent now most of the features that made it so useful are a lot less crucial as they are available elsewhere in the chain.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby mikehende » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:13 pm

I am thinking since they all mostly have the same features that the very high priced ones might be built with more quality parts maybe therefore might make the sound better?

I mean if you compare like a DBX 260 which costs half the price of like a BSS then the BSS has to have something in it which makes it cost twice the price of the DBX? I'm just curios guys as I have a BSS but most guys I know have the DBX.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:57 pm

mikehende wrote:a DBX 260 which costs half the price of like a BSS
Which BSS? The current model supports an extensive range of networking options whereas the dbx 260 is a much simpler box that only deals with a stereo signal. That would explain the price difference.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:59 pm

I've had to work with systems that used DBX processors and I have to say I don't like their sound, particularly the EQ.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby mikehende » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:27 pm

I was just trying to figure out if might be a sound quality difference as opposed to features differences.
mikehende
Regular