You are here

Connecting 2 JBL EON One

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Connecting 2 JBL EON One

Postby Medina Sod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:41 am

Good Evening All,
I have 2 JBL Eon One's and want to connect them together but am unsure of the best way. I would like to use the internal mixer. The monitor out is RCA and my understanding is that is unbalanced so cord length would be a concern. I would like to separate the units by about 12-15 ft and if so, would I use RCA out to the 1/4 line on channel 3/4? Or, if there are better ways to connect the two I would appreciate any input. Thanks for your advice.
Medina Sod
New here

Re: Connecting 2 JBL EON One

Postby Murray B » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:42 am

I've has a similar issue with linking my Yamaha MSR100's as monitors, I found it easiest to split the incoming signal rather than linking from one of the speakers.

I've used a simple XLR splitter "Y" cable - keeps the split on the balanced side - you get a fairly small reduction in signal level at the speaker which can easily overcome with a bit of gain.

There may be other solutions of course.

EDIT - sorry I should have read the post with more care - this won't allow you to use the internal mixer.

The cable length you've described should work ok with an unbalanced connection - you can get DI boxes for RCA phono connections but I'm fairly sure you won't need one.
Murray B
Regular

Postby Medina Sod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:51 pm

Thanks so much for the reply sir. Yes, I have the external mixer part sorted. There are times when I set up in the back yard or small gatherings that I didn't want to drag out an external mixer, Just play some mp3's from a portable device through the 3.5 mm input (channel 5/6 on the unit). I was looking for a stereo sound using both units. Thanks again for your reply. I am new to this forum, and really enjoy the depth of knowledge here.
Medina Sod
New here

Postby AlecSp » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:41 pm

Medina Sod wrote:Just play some mp3's from a portable device through the 3.5 mm input (channel 5/6 on the unit). I was looking for a stereo sound using both units. Thanks again for your reply. I am new to this forum, and really enjoy the depth of knowledge here.
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get stereo from these speakers unless you drive both separately.

While the documentation for the speakers isn't explicit, it would appear that a stereo input will be summed to mono in the speaker, as there's no balance control in the mixer. The mixer output looks as if it will preserve stereo out, but once you get into the second speaker you'll be summed to mono again. So, all you'll end up with is a dual mono setup.

If you want stereo from your speakers, I believe the only way to achieve it will be to feed each speaker separately with L and R signals.

In the end, it's up to you if you want stereo enough to have (slightly) more complex cabling, or whether you're content with a dual mono setup.

There are strong recommendations that PA should always be run in mono, on the basis that people outside the sweet spot will tend to hear one speaker or the other, rather than the stereo field. Counter to that are the views that some content benefits from stereo more than others. For your description of small gatherings, stereo is likely to be fine - but no-one is likely to notice a detriment if it's run as mono.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Medina Sod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:29 pm

There are strong recommendations that PA should always be run in mono, on the basis that people outside the sweet spot will tend to hear one speaker or the other, rather than the stereo field
Thank you AlecSp, I had not considered that. In light of that fact, I would not mind at all running in mono. I am just unsure of how to cable the two units. Would I run RCA from Monitor Out from unit 1 to 1/4 into CH 3/4 on the second unit? Would it be an RCA on one end to dual 1/4 on the other end? I am unsure of what cable to run where if that makes sense. Thanks again for your insight.
Medina Sod
New here

Postby Murray B » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:30 pm

No worries, glad to be of help.

If you want true stereo then this might be a case for getting a passive stereo DI and then using a left and right speaker rather than having a dual stereo summed to mono on each side. You could do this with adapters or a very long split cable but a DI Box might do you better.

There's quite a wide range of prices for these - from about £20 to £150 I don't own one so can't recommend a particular model, if you go for something like the Radial one at the top of the price range you'll have a super quality product but it may be difficult to justify the expense. However if you are considering using a laptop for the audio feed it will be very useful for stopping ground hum.

Just noticed there is a another post about this so I may be repeating some info :-)
Murray B
Regular

Postby Murray B » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:23 pm

Have you looked at the JBL Eon connect app? Might be the solution for stereo bluetooth streamed music.
Murray B
Regular

Postby Medina Sod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:32 pm

Thanks for the info Murry B. I had not looked at the app as I didn't think it was for my model of EON. I have a pair of the original EON ONE line arrays. AlecSp brought up a good point about the stereo field and the audience. I don't mind running in mono, I'm just unsure what kind of cables go where in conecting the two units. There are only RCA outs on the units. Thanks again for your response.
Medina Sod
New here

Postby Murray B » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 am

Are you sure what to do yet? If not I can give you some options and advice.
Murray B
Regular

Postby Medina Sod » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:55 pm

I have a Whirlwind pcDI box on hand if that helps. I'm just not sure where that would go in the signal chain :headbang: . Thanks for your input.
Medina Sod
New here

Postby AlecSp » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:03 pm

Medina Sod wrote:I don't mind running in mono, I'm just unsure what kind of cables go where in conecting the two units. There are only RCA outs on the units. Thanks again for your response.
You're right, your only choice for outputs are the RCA/Phono sockets. At the other end, you could connect to any input you like.

The one subtlety is that if you run a single cable from just one of the phono outputs, you'll be getting etiher the left or the right side of the stereo signal from your source (I *think*, as I'd expet the mixer to have preserved the stereo signal internally), This would mean that your second speaker would be using just one side of the stereo signal, where the first would be delivering a summed mono. Very subtle, though, and you'd probably never notice.

Far easier than trying to tell you what to do, why don't you just try connecting whatever cables you have from the output of one speaker to an input on the other. This kind of playing is how we learn best. It'll create noise and, in the end, no-one is actually likely to care whether it's stereo, mono, or some funn hybrid.

Murray B wrote:Have you looked at the JBL Eon connect app? Might be the solution for stereo bluetooth streamed music.
I did wonder if Bluetooth might help, but I don't think you can normally output to 2 devices simultaneously - though a vendor specific app might deal with this. As the OP says, though, his speakers look to predate that app.

Medina Sod wrote:I have a Whirlwind pcDI box on hand if that helps
Why complicate things? If you're already struggling with what is one of the easiest of setups, you really don't need to be adding more into the pile.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Medina Sod » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:47 pm

You are correct. Thank you so much for the insight. I'm really just overthinking this situation and making it much more difficult than it really is.
Medina Sod
New here