You are here

Best Powered Mixer for Under $1000

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Powered Mixer for Under $1000

Postby JohnQDodo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 am

Hey everyone,

I recently posted on here asking about upgrading to a digital mixer but in the interest of keeping all my options open, I'd like to ask the other half of the question. What about sticking with a powered mixer?

I know they can be underpowered and all this new tech is super awesome but spending $1000 and upgrading is only one option

Another user on here suggested the Mackie 808s and that appears to be a decent head. I found a couple made in USA ones for about $400. Is that really my best option though?

I just have 2 x 12" mains at 8 ohms each. I have a 3-piece punk band (guitar, bass, drums) and we just use combo amps so we really just need something that will be louder than the drums for small to medium size gigs and practice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :headbang:
JohnQDodo
New here

Re: Best Powered Mixer for Under $1000

Postby resistorman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:09 am

If you’re just running vocals through it then any of them will be fine.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Nothing inherently wrong with powered mixers, but the functions on them tend to be a bit basic. I'd be more inclined to go with a mixer that suits your needs and a power amp, purely because replacing one or the other is generally cheaper than replacing the whole power mixer if something breaks, and also it makes it easier to upgrade in the future.

That said, if it does the job, there's no reason to change. I think us sound guys like the flexible approach of having separate devices doing each job. It also makes it easier to fault find should something go wrong.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:35 pm

The advantage being that because they're less popular, you can get some bargains second hand.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mike Monte » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:18 pm

I have a local sound-for-hire operation that does mostly gigs in my local area.

I use digital mixers, Itech amps, subs, (etc.) for most of my sound-for-hire gigs
however
I also have two powered mixers; Yorkville M1610-2, M810-2, that I also use for specific applications - I love'em btw.

https://yorkville.com/mixers/micromix/

8 channels, digital effects, easy to set up/ break down.....two separate power amps that can be routed as both for your mains or one amp for mains and one amp for monitors.

There are a few on ebay (one locally here in MA on facebook marketplace). They are a bit pricey even used, but they are rock-solid.

Looking at your band's instrumentation one of the above would be more than enough for your needs IMO.
Depending on your speakers' specs you may be able to use the 810 (or the 1610 which has double the power).

Many people are on the active/powered speaker/digi mixer bandwagon but since you already have passive speakers....why not use them?

Both of my powered mixers (listed above) were purchased as used units.
New they run $1100.00(or so) but one can be had for around $500 if you look hard enough.
Mike Monte
Regular