You are here

Mackie pro fox V3 10 speaker hook up

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Mackie pro fox V3 10 speaker hook up

Postby puppychow » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:51 pm

New to this here and am hoping you all might be able to help me . I am wondering if I can run my mains , 2 subwoofers and 2 monitors and control them independently with my Mackie pro fx v3 10 channel mixer ? Right now I am daisy chaining my mains and my subs together but would love to be able to Separate them . Thankful for any input you might have ..
puppychow
New here

Re: Mackie pro fox V3 10 speaker hook up

Postby Murray B » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:03 pm

I'm not a PA expert - just a enthusiastic amateur - but I think that those that would be able to provide you with expert advice will need to know about how the speakers are powered and if you use a crossover in the subs in a separate one.

Irrespective of the potential routing out of the mixer the key issue will be how to keep the right bits of the audio spectrum in the respective speakers.

So key questions are
Are you using powered or passive speakers?
If you are using passive what amp / crossover arrangement do you use?
If you are using powered speakers do you use the band passed output to the mains?
What Subs have you got?
What Mains have you got?

Are you willing to purchase any more kit to get the job done?
Murray B
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 pm

And why do you want to separate them?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby puppychow » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:12 pm

I am doing a live show where I will have an audio snake run to the stage , and i would like to be able to adjust everything from 50’ in front of the stage vs having to go up and raise or lower the levels of the subs ..
puppychow
New here

Postby AlecSp » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:01 am

puppychow wrote:I am doing a live show where I will have an audio snake run to the stage , and i would like to be able to adjust everything from 50’ in front of the stage vs having to go up and raise or lower the levels of the subs ..
But still hasn't told us, despite being asked, what speakers are being used, if/how they're being controlled, and how they're hooked up.

Give the information you were asked for, and you might find some responses that could help you.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby puppychow » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:33 am

They are Behringer active mains and the way I’m using them now I am daisy chaining the subs to these , Behringer active subs and Behringer active monitors . I am running the mains and subs out of the main outs and the monitors out of the control room outs .
puppychow
New here

Postby puppychow » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:36 am

Also I do not know if I answered the question about “band passed output to mains” as I’m not sure what exactly that is .
puppychow
New here

Postby AlecSp » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:30 am

puppychow wrote:They are Behringer active mains and the way I’m using them now I am daisy chaining the subs to these , Behringer active subs and Behringer active monitors
Not really that helpful. It's like saying I need a new valve gasket for my Ford....

That said, your mixer is hardly that functional. Looks like its only outputs are the mains and control room.

What are you trying to achieve by this? And would I be right to guess that this is for DJ use?

Looks like there are two ways you could control sub & top volumes separately

1) Use the FX send to drive the subs - obviously, this is likely to render the internal FX unusable

2) Run as a mono system, and send one side of the master signal to the subs and the oher side to the tops. Use the channel pan pot to adjust the sub/top balance.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:14 pm

If your tops have a built in HPF then you could use the control room outs to feed the subs. I'm assuming you use the fx sends for the monitors but that is not ideal as they are post fader.

If the tops don't have HPF's then you are stuck with slaving them from the sub's HPF output if you want the rig to work as intended.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:24 pm

Simplest solution with your mixer is to buy an active crossover.

See here: https://www.thomann.de/gb/crossovers.html?oa=pra for the sort of thing that's available.

I'm not suggesting you buy from them; all the major retailers sell a range of crossovers.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:58 am

Sam Spoons wrote: I'm assuming you use the fx sends for the monitors but that is not ideal as they are post fader.
He said he was driving them from the Control Room output. All pretty ropey, really, but that little mixer gives you very few options. It was that which made me wonder what the actual usage is, and made me suspect DJ. Sadly, useful information hasn't been that forthcoming.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:42 am

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........