You are here

Where do the bass notes come from?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Where do the bass notes come from?

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:32 pm

Nice to see Orchid Electronics putting in another appearance.

Their plan for world domination may be a slow burner, but it's definitely progressing!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:15 pm

I'd never realised that a concertina with an octave pedal sounds like a pipe organ! :crazy:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:36 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'd never realised that a concertina with an octave pedal sounds like a pipe organ! :crazy:

It makes an incredibly interesting noise, I'll give it that! Only had a quick flick through that kit video but it's very cool.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:40 pm

Luke W wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5zuW24jC_s

That may shed some light on the situation.

Clearly the guitarist tapping a stomp box here, and I'd assume that was the case for the first video. Haven't looked at all the others...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:43 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Nice to see Orchid Electronics putting in another appearance.

Their plan for world domination may be a slow burner, but it's definitely progressing!

Martin

I do (or did) do quite a lot of folky type gigs, and amongst UK bands at least, it’s pretty unusual to not have some of John’s DI boxes, and preamps turn up. There’s a considerable amount Orchid bespoke stuff out there too.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Murray B » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:49 pm

MarkPAman wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:Nice to see Orchid Electronics putting in another appearance.

Martin

I do (or did) do quite a lot of folky type gigs, and amongst UK bands at least, it’s pretty unusual to not have some of John’s DI boxes, and preamps turn up. There’s a considerable amount Orchid bespoke stuff out there too.

I use the Muting DI box as pictured in the photo and regularly receive feedback on the quality of the audio the sound engineer is getting. More than happy with it.
Murray B
Regular

Postby Luke W » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:26 pm

MarkPAman wrote:

Martin

Same here. Word can get around quickly in those sorts of circles :lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 am

BJG145 wrote:

Clearly the guitarist tapping a stomp box here, and I'd assume that was the case for the first video. Haven't looked at all the others...

The concertina player and guitarist have stomp boxes and all three have at least one octave pedal of some kind.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby awjoe » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:13 am

Man, you don't have to like him after that first video, but you have to admire him.

And look how concerned he is with the lower end of their sound. They don't have a bass player.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
She even asked me if I wanted a sausage roll. That normally is a good sign.

Postby awjoe » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:40 am

It may. He says: 'If you're at home maybe put headphones on and you can hear all the bass coming through it'. Okay, so let's say the concertina player's triggering the bass notes. Next question: How do they manage to get the bass notes at the same tempo the band's playing at?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
She even asked me if I wanted a sausage roll. That normally is a good sign.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:54 am

awjoe wrote:

It may. He says: 'If you're at home maybe put headphones on and you can hear all the bass coming through it'. Okay, so let's say the concertina player's triggering the bass notes. Next question: How do they manage to get the bass notes at the same tempo the band's playing at?

Because they are actually playing everything live not triggering loops or sequences?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:22 pm

Late to this thread, but considering Talisk a bit of a serendipity discovery.

Interesting to watch those Gear Masters clips - but it always fascinates me how little technical knowledge a lot of musicians have, though the end results are great.

This live clip at Cambridge Folk Festival really seems to capture the energy they create with a crowd - pretty impressive for a three piece folk band: https://youtu.be/2432sMhkNuU

The learning for me is that I really ought to investigate an Octave pedal. I've always been tempted for one with bass, but hadn't ever twigged the opportunity with guitar... I presume that's all driven off his E&B string pickup.

All round, though, interesting to see this kind of setup used outside a Royal Blood style band.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Looks like he's using a couple of these on the E and A strings http://ubertar.com/hexaphonic/one_and_two_string_pickups.html
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous