You are here

QSC RMX 2450 distorting permanent clip light channel 1

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

QSC RMX 2450 distorting permanent clip light channel 1

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 am

Hi all, I have just acquired a QSC RMX 2450 amp that was supposed to be working but when tested the left channel one clip light is permanently on and there is huge distortion from both channels.

I have tested using both XLR/TRS inputs and various cables\speaker cabs same result so my guess is its the amp.

What I want to ask is could this potentially be a easy fix or might I be heading to a huge repair bill? I got it for a good price considering its the 2450 model, leaving me some room to pay for a service and repair and fingers crossed it will be good thereafter. I am only using it at home to drive some Marshall cabs so it is not mission critical, but obviously I would like it working properly and reliable,
uselessoldman
Regular

Re: QSC RMX 2450 distorting permanent clip light channel 1

Postby zenguitar » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:23 am

Potentially it is an easy fix.

Potentially you face a huge repair bill.

As you said, it's fingers crossed. If you have a tame tech who would look it over for free you would have already asked him/her and got your answer. So as you are asking here it's fair to assume that you don't have a tame tech to call on. And no remote diagnosis will come remotely close to a hands on assessment.

Don't waste your time and effort. Hand it back to the seller and claim a full refund. And if you really want the amp, tell the seller that you will pay the same price again once they've fixed it properly.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:43 am

It only arrived today so no I have not done anything except inform the shop/seller it arrived faulty. I wanted to ask the question here cos these are really good amps and "usually bullet proof" I have been after one for ages and this one was DAMN CHEAP compared to what they usually sell for on fleeBay.

I guess your answer was what I needed to hear, cut my losses return it get my money back and buy one that works !!

Sad to see a good amp like this potentially being thrown in the skip
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:52 am

I share your sentiments and hate to see good gear go to landfill for the sake of a a basic repair.

But DAMN CHEAP is only damn cheap if it works as described. Let the seller take the risk, not the buyer.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:48 am

Yip you are so right. I said cheap cos the price was cheap it certainly wasn't a bargain, cos it don't bleeding work !! Annoying cos I bought a Crown LPS1500 off them a few weeks back and that WAS a bargain.

This amp came up on their website a couple of nights ago (new listing) I didn't need to think twice just hit basket and it was mine. I realise they NEVER test their gear, they clearly didn't even switch this one on.

I know these are extremely well designed robust amps. I also know from experience NOTHING lasts forever without a service and the odd repair sometime in its life time. It has a sticker saying it was electrically tested a couple of months back, wonder if the original seller pulled a fast one on them and they just assumed it worked? Nothin would surprise me
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:03 pm

A PAT 'test' has nothing to do with whether a device works, it is a test of electrical safety, and pretty narrowly focused. To certify a 'portable appliance' as 'safe' the tester should visually inspect (without dismantling), test it's insulation integrity and, in the case of Class 2 devices, test for earth continuity. At no point do they need to switch the device on.

If the seller is happy for you to return for a full refund just keep watching their website for the next decent power amp to show up.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:19 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:At no point do they need to switch the device on.

Er... it does actually need to be powered up in the test in order to perform the leakage tests...

...but at no point would the tester need to listen to the amp or judge its audio qualities!

For the OP... A permanent clip light with no input would suggest a significant internal fault, but distortion could simply be too high an input level, so it might be worth having a cup of tea (other refreshing beverages are available), check the input specs and settings, check your source levels and connection formats, and try again.

In general though, when something seems too good to be true, it usually is.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:At no point do they need to switch the device on.

Er... it does actually need to be powered up in the test in order to perform the leakage tests...

:blush: :thumbup: obviously, I've tested enough to know that...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:55 pm

I'd agree that these are very robust amps normally (we used one as a sonar transmitter in my previous job) but this one could easily have had a hard life for the last 15 years in a nightclub. It is probably fixable by someone competent but there are fairly high voltages in there with the potential for high currents to flow if you put a probe in the wrong place.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page