You are here

Software drum trigger in Ableton Live 10

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Software drum trigger in Ableton Live 10

Postby Andyroo66 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:03 pm

I'm working on a project to use a series of piezo mics to send signal into daw abelton then the signal triggers a wav sample.
In principal I can do it I'm Aptrigga 3.0 as i briefly tried the demo version.
But I have a series of instruments to set up about 12 or so in total instruments and each instrument has about 8 or so different notes played on it imagine a series of instruments triggered from a dummy xylophone.
So that's about 12 "kits" to set up.
The signal from the piezo mic on the instrument will be similar for each different note i play or hit so I'm trying to get my head around how I would assign each wav sample to each particular note on the dummy xylophone. I hope this makes sense!
Is this possible in something like Aptrigga or are there better options or even something hosted already in Ableton. I'm using Live 10 Suite.
Cheers
Andyroo66

Re: Software drum trigger in Ableton Live 10

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:50 pm

That's a lot of audio to get separately into a DAW in order to create reliable triggers. If it were me I'd maybe look at getting something to convert the triggers to MIDI outside of the DAW - maybe buy up a few old Alesis D4s, for example.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:57 am

I'm not familiar with Aptrigga but as you say I can't see how it could recognise the signal from a load of different identical piezos. Buying a bunch of trigger-to-MIDI converters could be quite expensive though. I'd be thinking about building something with Arduino. There are bound to be loads of DIY projects where people are hooking up a bunch of piezos to trigger MIDI, eg like this DIY xylophone...

https://www.instructables.com/Arduino-Xylophone/

(I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, so you might need to post up some more details of what you're planning to play to trigger the sounds.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Andyroo66 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:01 pm

Thanks! The xylophone type idea is pretty close to what i want to do, the only difference is I will be triggering gamelan sounds but the concept is the same. next job is to cost up the project!
Andyroo66