You are here

Live bands and effects

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Live bands and effects

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 pm

If it's performed live (even if not broadcast in real time) they are almost certainly using a hardware mixer. Whether that was analogue or digital will mostly depend on when the live broadcast/recording was made.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 pm

mountain lion wrote:Can a computer be used for this processing or is it too slow so you have to use a hardware mixer?
Can you use lets say slate or waves plugins for this ?

I've been involved with a project that used SSL's Soundscape software as a live mixer. You'd really need plug-ins designed for low latency for this to work though.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:02 pm

Have a read of this article about the making of an episode of the Later with Jools series in the UK, where the bands are all recorded 'as live' in stereo in real time, and the only post production is a bit of re-panning for HDTV surround sound and to tidy up any points arising from the vision editing.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/making-later-jools-holland
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:01 pm

Ooh! Interesting! Thanks Hugh! From just before I started subscribing. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Luke W » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:03 pm

Just had another read through that, it's a great article. My brain and arms ache just at the thought of the set being struck and swapped with Strictly every week :lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:29 pm

They don't do that anymore as the two shows now come from different studios! But back in the day it really was amazing how studios at TVC were rigged, stripped and re-rigged day to day. Floors painted, lights re set, scenery moved in and out, etc etc...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:45 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:They don't do that anymore as the two shows now come from different studios! But back in the day it really was amazing how studios at TVC were rigged, stripped and re-rigged day to day. Floors painted, lights re set, scenery moved in and out, etc etc...

The BBC may have its knockers but their production staff always struck me as being well-trained (some by Hugh, I gather?) and utter professionals. Masters of their crafts.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,301 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:11 am

Mike Monte wrote:
Arpangel wrote:It depends, on the music, and the venue.
I've seem countless bands at my local pub before it closed down, and I’d say hardly any, maybe one or two, actually used effects on the PA, of any kind.
They normally had an older generation of amp/mixer head, with no built in effects, and a very basic EQ. The prime requirements were that the gear worked, and they could be heard.
I did see a prog/stadium rock type covers band there once, and they were using loads of effects and it sounded terrible, it just made them sound muddy and blurred, bad use of effects.
Reacting to the above statement: nothing sounds more "hack" to me than a live band's vocals totally wet-with-'verb.
It's almost like the band's lead vocalist scrolling through the PA's effects setting: "let's see; large hall....nope, small hall...not tonight, delay, (What's that?).....ah, here it is: KARAOKE, that's the one..." lol

/pre-coffee musings

Sometimes a venue will provide an effect for us, I was a regular at a very large hall in my home town, bands on every week, the good engineers realised straight way how live the acoustic was, and aimed for a tight dry sound, as far as was possible, certainly no extra effects that would fudge the sound too much.
It’s not an ideal world, but it’s good to have the luxury of choosing a venue that suites the music, not always possible, you just have to go with what you’re given and work with it.
Also, I’ve seen a few artists who’s use of effects live, is essential to their music, it’s very effects heavy, but because they have a sympathetic road crew/engineers who have been working with them for years, the sound never sounds as though it’s has loads of effects, or is muddy in any way, it just sounds great, David Sylvian I’ve seen many times, and his sound is always superb, as is King Crimson, I’ve been to some pretty bad concerts sound-wise though, a few at the Barbican, a notorious venue to get to grips with.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Floors painted
This was the bit that always impressed me...
AlecSp
Regular

Previous