You are here

Learning about silent discos - FM vs Bluetooth connectivity vs Other unknown options

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Learning about silent discos - FM vs Bluetooth connectivity vs Other unknown options

Postby Vibrationjockey » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi all,
I am just trying to get my head around how best to get really high quality connection to multiple headphones/ users, particularly only when the device is bluetooth.

I am aware that silent discos usually generally use FM banding - as have seen on previous replies in the forum, however I am keen to hear if anyone knows of any new technology which would allow high quality connection for larger crowds (20-40) to multiple devices.

Thanks for your help!!
Vibrationjockey

Re: Learning about silent discos - FM vs Bluetooth connectivity vs Other unknown options

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:50 pm

Welcome! :thumbup: :clap:

Just to be absolutely clear... you're looking for a Bluetooth solution?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Learning about silent discos - FM vs Bluetooth connectivity vs Other unknown options

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:32 pm

You are likely to reach the limits of Bluetooth's range in anything larger than a medium living room. The more sensible choice is likely to be between an FM analogue system in a UHF band or a digital system in the 2.4GHz band (which is shared by Wifi and a few other things).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:36 pm

I had thought BT 'broadcast' to unlimited devices was not possible but a quick google reveals that it is. The first useful link that came up is this one https://www.qualcomm.com/products/features/broadcast-audio
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm

Vibrationjockey wrote:Hi all,I am aware that silent discos usually generally use FM banding
Have you ever stopped to wonder if there are really good reasons, both technical and commercial, as to why that's the case and why people aren't using something "cooler"...?
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:26 pm

You may know this already, but if you decide to go the radio route just be aware that being able to buy kit in a country doesn't mean it's legal to use it!

The licence rules vary from country to country, but in the UK there's lots of kit on sale - and being used - that's illegal. Should you get caught, the fines can be considerable... and the kit is confiscated. :thumbdown:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Vibrationjockey » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Really appreciate it.

In terms of connectivity - I mean I'm sure there are good reasons why people aren't currently using bluetooth or WiFi- sounds like it is currently in the too hard basket!

However doing some reading yesterday and learning about blue tooth 5.2 opened me up a bit and I was just wondering what everyone thought really!

Is the different between bluetooth and fm the quality of the information being transmitted?

Would a local network wifI be a viable option? Not many headphones on the market have wifi capability from what I see!

Thanks again everyone
Vibrationjockey

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 pm

When I mentioned 2.4GHz I was thinking of products that used their own protocols rather than Wifi. XVive are one example that seems to be widely available.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page