You are here

Digital to analog xlr input hum

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Digital to analog xlr input hum

Postby ranilus » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:59 am

Hello everyone, hopefully I can find some help on this forum. I have a behringer x32. Using xlr out going to a Mackie analog mixer channel one xlr input. There is a loud hum coming through the speakers. When I unplugged the XLR cable from the Mackie of course the home stops. Any help would be appreciated
ranilus

Re: Digital to analog xlr input hum

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:13 am

Assuming you're talking about balanced analogue connections between the two consoles, the most likely problem is a ground-loop between your X32 and the Mackie. And the easiest way of solving it is either to connect via a line-isolating transformer box. I like the ART DTI as a value-for money and very versatile solution, but there are plenty of similar alternatives around.

Alternatively, if you fancy some DIY and have don't mind chopping up your XLR cables, then open the male XLR end and cut (and insulate) the cable screen connection to pin 1. You'll need to do that both both XLR cables if you're running stereo between the devices.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:36 pm

It may also be worth saying that the X32 will be putting out a line level signal while the XLR input on the Mackie will probably be expecting a mic level signal so any slight noise on the X32 output will be heard as a much louder noise through the Mackie.

You probably need to use an attenuator between the X32 and the Mackie to match the signal levels.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Or, better still, an XLRF to TRS cable to let you use the 'P48 safe' line input most Mackies have next to the XLR mic input.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........