You are here

Allen and Heath Zed 6fx

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Allen and Heath Zed 6fx

Postby BlackAngel1966 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:50 pm

Hey all. Looks like my band will be playing again later this year so I’m looking to invest in some new PA equipment. We are a 3 piece pretty loud rock band, we only play small pubs and clubs and only put 2 vocal mics through our PA system. We use Yamaha DXR 10 speakers (ace) and a Mackie pro fx 8 (ok, but perhaps to much for our super basic needs). I’m looking to simplify the set up and like the look of the Allen and Heath Zed 6fx. The only thing that puts me off is it’s mega basic connectivity for floor monitors etc, but I could probably live with that. Anyone here got one and use it for similar situations? Any good? Cheers.
BlackAngel1966
New here

Re: Allen and Heath Zed 6fx

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:19 pm

I've used and like the A&H Zed range though not that specific mixer, I've also used the Mackie you have. I don't think you will hear any useful difference in sound between them and while I do like the A&H mixers I'm not sure I would bother just to save enough space to stand a couple of pints..... (oh, hang on :D ). Realistically the compromise to the monitors is not something I would want to make (there are no monitor sends on the A&H) so if it was me I would stick with what you have.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Murray B » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:52 pm

I've used the larger Zed Fx Series Mixers live and they work well. However as Sam says not having a dedicated Monitor send could be a pain - I guess you could use the Pan control and split the left / right for your Mains and Monitor.

The other slightly frustrating thing with the Zed mixers is the stereo channels don't have a mono only input, so if you have a mono source you need a splitter lead to get it out of both left and right sides. As these would be your spare inputs it's adding more potential faff if you needed to run something else through the PA in case of emergency (Bass amp breaks etc.).

However having said all of the above - if you aren't currently taking a spare mixer to a gig, it not a bad call to add one of these to the load in as a small format, reasonalbe quality, spare mixer.
Murray B
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:18 pm

Murray B wrote:However having said all of the above - if you aren't currently taking a spare mixer to a gig, it not a bad call to add one of these to the load in as a small format, reasonalbe quality, spare mixer.

+1, I always take a spare* and with active cabs it is highly unlikely that the failure of a single piece of equipment short of total power failure in the venue could stop the show.

* Not like it was 40 years ago when I could only just scrape together a working rig, things have moved on since then and I have several mixers and enough guitars to always have a spare. The only things I don't have spares of are vocal chords and hands :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Murray B » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:39 pm

Looks like I could use a spare pair of eyes to spot my awful typos :oops:
Murray B
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:58 am

I'd stick with the Mackie mixer.

The Mackie is hardly sophisticated, but does all you want, with a bit of spare capacity, which is always handy. The Zed doesn't cater easily for monitoring, and has no spare capacity.

You'd be spending money on downgrading to the Zed.

A subtle one, but well worth considering - while the Mackie takes a regular IEC C14 mains cable (like most other kit), the Zed uses an IEC C6 (Cloverleaf) mains cable. This does mean that you would never be able to find a spare mains lead in a hurry, which could really bite you if, say, a fuse went, or you simply left the mains lead behind. Using standard connectors has a real benefit.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:08 pm

I have a Zed6 and like it a lot.

But then my needs are for a basic mixer with no requirement for monitors, inserts, groups etc.

As others have said, if you need monitors then this isn't the mixer for you - excellent little mixer though it undoubtedly is.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster