You are here

Which is the better Mixing board?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Which is the better Mixing board?

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:09 pm

How's it going guys, hope every is fine!

So my buds have all been tell me that I should switch from my Allen and Heath Xone 23 DJ mixer to a Mixing board because I will get more flexibility and better sound/performance. If that is true then I have narrowed my choices to these 2 boards:

https://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/produ ... 2xr/980924

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/mixwizard3-16-2/

I only play mp3's through by DJ/Radio Automated software, not do any live mixing so don't really need a live mixing option. I think my main concern will be running by two Effects machines [Pioneer Reverb and Lexicon Multi Fx].

I am not noticing any specific "send and return" options in both item's description so that is my main concern, any ideas please?
mikehende
Regular

Re: Which is the better Mixing board?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 pm

You friends are a liability... :lol:

The A&H DJ mixer you currently have is built with the same good quality electronics and design as the full live-sound mixer you're considering, but is clearly geared up much more appropriately to your specific requirements than any generic live-sound mixer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

But if sound quality is a concern, stop playing mp3 files -- that would make a far more obvious difference (and improvement) than a change of hardware console. FAR MORE!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:47 pm

I have been having some intermittent issues with my mixer lately so I will either upgrade to like a Rane DJ mixer or if the info I have posted about a mixing board is accurate then I will go that route.

Regarding changing from mp3, no it has been working fine since I had reconfigured my equipment so no need to change to any other music file type.
mikehende
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:05 pm

I think you need more expensive interconnects.

The diamond studded one way blingumium infused monogrammed ones with vintage Rainforestwood beads for analogue warmth are the best, but they're not cheap, or even available.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Thx. I have started getting Mogami interconnects. The main question here though is does a mixing board give better sound and performance than a DJ mixer and if yes, which of the 2 in my OP would be the better one especially for running my 2 effects machines, that is what I am asking guys.
mikehende
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:26 pm

With friends like yours, who needs enemies?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Luke W » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:46 pm

mikehende wrote:The main question here though is does a mixing board give better sound and performance than a DJ mixer and if yes, which of the 2 in my OP would be the better one especially for running my 2 effects machines, that is what I am asking guys.

It's not really a case of one doing a better job than the other. The performance will be down to the quality of the components used, the design of the circuitry itself, and the overall build quality of the mixer. The format of the mixer in general doesn't come in to play, it's perfectly possible to get great performance out of both, just as it's possible for either to be badly designed/made and sound quality to suffer as a result.

It may well be true that a mixer designed for live sound has more flexibility, but it's whether that flexibility is useful or necessary for your given situation, and from your description of what you're doing it doesn't sound as if it is. It might even make your life more difficult by not having features that are useful to DJing, but aren't usually needed for live sound.

I'd give more thought to the advice about MP3's personally. It doesn't matter what cables or mixer you end up using if a chunk of your music has already been thrown away by a lossy codec. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:48 pm

mikehende wrote:The main question here though is does a mixing board give better sound and performance than a DJ mixer...

Compare the technical specifications. The short answer is no. The specs for the XZone and Mix Wizard are very similar, and both are better than the RCF.

..,which of the 2 in my OP would be the better one especially for running my 2 effects machines, that is what I am asking guys.

These are radically different mixers with radically different facilities, channel counts and so on. They aren't directly comparable with each other, let alone with the DJ mixer.

So what really matters is which type of console -- if any -- meets with your requirements in terms of input connection formats, channel counts, mono/stereo channels, EQ functions, number and mono/stereo format of aux sends and fx returns, and so on...

So if your aim is to acquire a different set of features and functions, choose the mixer that best meets your specific identified needs... But if your aim is a sound quality upgrade, in all seriousness you're wasting your time. There will be no discernible difference; the Xzone mixer is already about as good as it gets at that kind of budget level, and the console isn't the quality weak-link anyway, the file format is, by a sizeable margin.

If intermittent problems are the driving impetus for this, my advice would be to track the problem down, and fix it -- replace any dodgy cables or have the mixer repaired. It would be a better value return on your investment.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:09 pm

IIRC you are still using you old Peavey speakers? They are a long way from HiFi, and any improvements resulting from upgrading your mixer will be hidden by the limitations of your speakers and room.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:03 pm

Ok got it guys. My sound is good now, had switched from the Ashly to the Rane AC23 Crossover and this made some difference it seems.

Yeah, I wasn't too comfortable with the idea of a mixing board which is why I decided to check here first, appreciate the help!
mikehende
Regular

Postby Luke W » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:11 pm

Glad to hear it's sorted. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:53 pm

This place is usually the voice of sanity Mike. Our natural reaction is to discourage the spending of cash where it won't give rise to a genuine improvement.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:38 pm

Yes, I agree with that 100%.
mikehende
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:56 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:This place is usually the voice of sanity Mike.

You lot are so helpful, positive, well informed and reasonable.

Really annoying when you're trying to be snipey and petty.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:12 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:This place is usually the voice of sanity Mike.

You lot are so helpful, positive, well informed and reasonable.

Really annoying when you're trying to be snipey and petty.
That's why we rely on your contribution...
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Next