You are here

Peavey Headliner 2x10 - A Bass speaker???

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Peavey Headliner 2x10 - A Bass speaker???

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:25 pm

I treated myself to a Ibanez Bass for xmas and so I needed a Bass speaker and bought myself a Peavey Headliner 2x10. Seriously is this a Bass speaker cos its struggles if you ask me. Yes I know it only has little 10inch speakers, but its a Bass speaker? I have EQ'd it well down so its actually making something like a proper sound. Tried lead and synths through it and its fine BUT it hardly goes low enough to handle Bass. I have G12H-100s that are better !!
uselessoldman
Regular

Re: Peavey Headliner 2x10 - A Bass speaker???

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Well, Peavey certainly think it's a bass speaker!
More seriously though, if it's not working for you, take it back. Better a little hassle now than living with something that's cost a wodge and you're not happy with.

There's nothing wrong with 10" speakers for bass obviously, it's really not about the size of the driver, it's the whole cabinet build.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby AlecSp » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:43 pm

I've not used low-end bass kit for a long time, but you certainly get what you pay for. At least, though, the price gap between cheap crap and the best is much smaller with bass gear than it is for PA gear.

1x12 or 2x12 are where it's at for optimum gigging portability and sound these days. I've got a GenzBenz NEOX 212T cab that I couldn't ever imagine having up to its full whack - it's got almost infinite capacity!

I suspect you're on a budget, so why not pick up a top notch cab used. Basschat classified is a great place to look. You could pick up a Bergantino AE112 for £235 that would trample all over your Peavey cab, and is a featherweight, too.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Na no budget restraints and I picked this up quite cheap considering what is sells for new. As for build quality I am not really bothered to much its only a Bass bin., SO then the question is what are the best "value" 10 inch speakers one can buy that would be easy to source?

I am not using them seriously or gigging but for home use and some fill in recording on some tracks but I have IR so again that is not critically a criteria.

There is an off chance I damaged them since they were wired into a QSC RMS 2450 but there supposed to handle 300 watts, yes the amp kicks out 500 per channel at 8 ohms but I have never had it above 10 which is the first notch but I did push some heavy Bass before I realised they were never designed to do Bass... or should I say take a 5 string Bass

so I will stick some more speakers in them and try
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:23 pm

I'd imagine that like most bass 2x10"s, they are designed to be used in conjunction with a 1x15" cab, ideally with a bi-amped setup with the 2x10" handling the mid-range and highs and the 1x15" the low frequencies.

Not that you can't design a 2x10" as the sole bass cab, but its far less common for one to designed like that if it's not part of a combo. A 4x10" bass cab for sole cab use is far more common than a 2x10" for that purpose.

You could try the Celestion BN10-300X neo speakers. I've got one in a home-built cab and if anything it's too bassy. Quite strong in the upper mids.

Lean Business have the 8 ohm units at £80 each https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/c ... p-340.html

Neodymium, so nice and light. Two 8 ohm speakers will give a 4 or 16 ohm cab, depending how you wire them, plus 600W power handling capacity. But if they behave anything like in my cab, there's not a lot of high end and could do with a tweeter. Less top end gives the impression of being a lot more middley than they really are.

The original speakers in the Peavey are very likely to be 200W 16 ohm Eminence units, if you want to replace like with like.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:09 pm

I have an Ashdown 2 x 10" bass cab that sounds great with the MAG300 it came with, my bass players stage rig is an Ashdown Superfly head with the matching 4 x 8" and definitely doesn't lack power.

Obviously a 2 x 10" won't move as much air as a 4 x 10" or better still one of these but should still have some decent low end, just maybe not at full on rock band gig levels.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:19 pm

uselessoldman wrote:
There is an off chance I damaged them since they were wired into a QSC RMS 2450 but there supposed to handle 300 watts, yes the amp kicks out 500 per channel at 8 ohms but I have never had it above 10 which is the first notch but I did push some heavy Bass before I realised they were never designed to do Bass... or should I say take a 5 string Bass

I think it unlikely that the amp/speaker combo caused any issues.

The usual rule of thumb is to use amps rated at roughly twice the stated handling of speakers. You're more likely to damage speakers by using a smaller amp and driving it into clipping... resulting in square waves which it's normally the tweeters that pack-in on...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Murray B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:37 pm

Just a thought - how big a room are you in and have you tried the cab anywhere else? Could you be sat in null point for your 5th string frequencies?
Murray B
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Only use them in quite a small room but I have tried them with many a multi track as well as my own kit. I mainly use them to correct another players Bass line, split out using RX8 and/or EZ Bass or over dubbing and general mixing tracks. used to hear how the Bass tracks sound and sits next to kick and other instruments.

Yes your right Mike a higher watt amp is better than lower that is why its connected to the QSC and with its crossover filter cut of set to 50 hz not 30 to match the speakers. The amp was also serviced just before I bought the speakers, thinking they would be a good match. I also have some Bass specific amps but there no where near the quality of a QSC,

NO harm in me investing in a 15" I do like to hear the bottom end prior to mixing. I might then be able to properly set the system up for full frequency not limited by the 10s.

I am not after volume but tone. My set up is basically a live setup so I can listen and hear how the tracks sit inside a mix. Its actually sat on top of a Marshall 4x12 with pairs of Celestion Vintage30s and wait for it Powercell 12-150s. It sounded better there than on the other 4x12 with V30s and G12Ts. I prefer to mix on my live stage setup over the studio monitors, which I use more to stereo image and final mixdown
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:22 am

Sorry chaps! The old saw about having an amp twice or more the power rating of the speaker does not apply to bass guitar amps nor regular guitar amps. I do not in fact believe it for ANY speaker/amp combination.

For a guitar speaker it should have a rating at least 50% higher than the amplifier and probably 100% higher if we are talking a big, 50W+ fixed biased valve amp. With honestly 'conservative' speaker people like Celestion go with their recommendation but the amp should certainly be no MORE powerful than the speaker rating.

Bass guitars produce probably THE most destructive waveform. Very high transients and even if you think you are playing at a modest volume, those spikes will get through and damage suspensions and spiders if you are using an amplifier capable of delivering the power and it seems the OP did this?

Also, do not put bass drivers in series. The low output impedance of the bass amp is now the Z of one of the speakers. A 'damping factor of ONE! In fact Celestion used to wind a special 32 Ohm 12 incher to go in a 4x12 cab, all in parallel to give an 8 Ohm resultant.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:32 am

Thanks for the explanation about bass, Dave :clap: :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Murray B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:38 pm

You've described a fairly unusual approach to mixing but I'm in no position to offer any advice / comment on this.

However the point of my question was to encourage you to try the speaker cab in a different, preferably larger space. Bass frequencies create very long pressure waves (usually longer than most rooms in your house) and because of this they can bounce about and cancel each other out from the reflections whether they are loud or at a lower volume.

Also having the cab up in the air on top of the 4x12 will reduce the amount of bass it creates and it loses some of the advantage of the sound waves interacting with the floor and reinforcing some of the lower frequencies - this can be a good or a bad thing depending on the space you are in.

Your speakers and cab may be undamaged - but in a room and a position that is preventing you from hearing the low end. Have you have any problem hearing the low end from your studio monitors too?

However if you are keen to upgrade the cab / get a better one then don't let me stop you as you may thank yourself for getting lighter weight speakers and or a new lightweight cab for live use.
Murray B
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 am

I have ordered a pair of BN10 300x 8 ohms as Wonks suggested when they arrive I will fit them and move the cab onto the floor. Watford Valves had them at a silly price, £57 each.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 pm

uselessoldman wrote: Tried lead and synths through it and its fine BUT it hardly goes low enough to handle Bass. I have G12H-100s that are better !!

A synth can test the bass performance of a bass cab just as much as a bass guitar can if not more. The standard bass guitar bottom E goes down to about 41 Hz whereas a full keyboard goes down to about 27 Hz. If the speaker can truly reproduce the bottom notes of the synth (not an easy task) it should well and truly handle the bass guitar's bottom E.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:14 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:
uselessoldman wrote: Tried lead and synths through it and its fine BUT it hardly goes low enough to handle Bass. I have G12H-100s that are better !!

A synth can test the bass performance of a bass cab just as much as a bass guitar can if not more. The standard bass guitar bottom E goes down to about 41 Hz whereas a full keyboard goes down to about 27 Hz. If the speaker can truly reproduce the bottom notes of the synth (not an easy task) it should well and truly handle the bass guitar's bottom E.

Don't want to get into a "my bass guitar trumps your synth so there" sort of fight but it ain't just about the lowest frequency. A synth puts out a controlled level and yes, I sort of know about pressure related dynamics but you can produce huge initial transients with a bass, the things are full of spiky 'wolf notes' as well. Most dedicated bass guitar amps include a compressor, mainly to even out the spikes but I suspect they play some part in saving the speakers as well!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next